AUTEUR SPOTLIGHT | George Lucas

As the force of nature behind Indiana Jones and Star Wars, George Lucas is renowned in the world of filmmaking. His immersive worldbuilding has made indelible impressions on generations of moviegoers; his futuristic vision has driven incredible technological innovations, and his pioneering ways have set a robust foundation for the future of motion pictures. A true giant in his field, Lucas’ franchises have earned him the most fame, but his vast contributions to advancing independent filmmaking and entertainment technology must also be celebrated.

Coming out of the University of Southern California School of Cinematic Arts, Lucas drilled into making 16mm short experimental films like “6-18-67,” “Anyone Lived in a Pretty How Town” and “Herbie.” He honed his eye for visual storytelling behind the camera, becoming an expert in capturing scenes thematically and tonally. Not long after, Lucas founded American Zoetrope alongside Francis Ford Coppola to create a supportive environment for independent filmmakers who felt stifled inside the Hollywood studio system. This set the stage for Lucas’ long-standing commitment to supporting others in telling the most compelling and innovative stories.

Lucas yearned to have complete creative freedom for himself as well, so he founded Lucasfilm in 1971. The studio setup served as ground zero for workshopping the rough contours of what would become the 1977 blockbuster “Star Wars” — later retitled “Star Wars: Episode IV – A New Hope.” The catalyst for the entire Star Wars universe, the film was an instant classic and established itself as the highest-grossing film of all time when it was released. After the box office hit, Lucas focused on charting out the future of Star Wars and empowering other creatives around him to do so as well. 

The subsequent two films in the original Star Wars trilogy — 1980’s “Star Wars: Episode V – The Empire Strikes Back” and 1983’s “Star Wars: Episode VI – Return of the Jedi” — each exhibited meaningful influence from Lucas, but were also seminally shaped by the artists Lucas had entrusted to direct them. Irvin Kershner and Richard Marquand, respectively, brought the Star Wars fever to new heights, attracting even more attention to Lucasfilm.

Around the same time, the Graphics Group at Lucasfilm, which was responsible for behind-the-scenes computer effect, was purchased by Steve Jobs and spun off into Pixar. This was a huge testament to how cutting-edge Lucasfilm’s technology already was at the time. Lucas relentlessly pursued innovation on the experiential, sound and visual fronts, intent on using new technologies to drive forward his storytelling. Today, Industrial Light & Magic and Skywalker Sound, entertainment technology organizations, represent the continuation of Lucas’ legacy in the future of film.

The other franchise Lucas is best known for, Indiana Jones, got its start in the early 1980s. George Lucas took a step back from directing for Indiana Jones, recruiting Steven Spielberg instead, but nonetheless played an enormous role in crafting the world of Indy. The widespread audience and critical acclaim that met Indiana Jones once again proved Lucas’ genius storytelling and how widely resonant his narratives of adventure, human connection and perseverance have proven to be.

Along the way, Lucas also made several other films such as “American Graffiti,” a 1973 comedy musical about rock ‘n’ roll culture, “Willow,” a 1988 fantasy thriller about magic and “The Land Before Time,” a 1988 children’s adventure film about prehistoric dinosaurs — all of which deserve recognition in their own right. I would strongly recommend going beyond the usual Lucas favorites and checking some of these out. Lucas’ bold creative vision and limitless range solidify his place in the pantheon of the greatest filmmakers ever. 

While best known for creating the world of the clone troopers, Darth Vader and Yoda, as well as that of Indiana Jones and his companions, Lucas should be more closely studied and appreciated for his larger body of work. He certainly changed the childhoods of millions around the world, but he also catalyzed waves of independent filmmaking and technological advancements that continue to shape the way stories are created, shared and experienced today.