‘Blue Beetle’ Shines with Stellar Performances and Excellent Comedy Despite Lackluster Villain and Plot

★★★☆☆

For most people, news of the release of the superhero film “Blue Beetle” elicits one response: “Who?” 

Blue Beetle, the superhero identity of protagonist Jaime Reyes, is a young hero with four eponymous DC comics, several appearances in DC animated shows and a dedicated fan base. However, this character’s existence was largely unknown to the general public before his recent film’s release. The film constitutes the first-ever live-action Latino-lead superhero movie, but there were still many doubts surrounding its chances of success at the time of its release. With such a niche character leading the film, would it get sufficient attention at the box office? Additionally, after a series of unsuccessful movie releases by DC Studios, would this film finally bring them back into the spotlight, becoming a competitor for Marvel? 

Now that the film has been released, it is clear that while “Blue Beetle” is not a tour-de-force, it is most certainly a step in the right direction for DC.

Jaime is an ordinary recent college graduate just trying to find a job — until alien technology irrevocably attaches itself to his back, leading him to become a superhero called Blue Beetle. He is played by “Cobra Kai” star Xolo Maridueña, who brings an incredible energy to the character, giving him life in a manner sure to please die-hard fans and newcomers alike. 

Jaime’s main superhero support system comes from his close-knit family, which includes his parents, sister, grandmother and Uncle Rudy. Uncle Rudy, played by the iconic George Lopez, is an electric scene stealer, throwing out hilarious and heartwarming lines left and right. 

The movie’s strength lies in its family dynamic. “Blue Beetle” differentiates itself from other superhero films through its deep focus on family and Latino culture. While representations of Latino culture can often come off as pandering, superficial or even racist, “Blue Beetle” manages to depict Hispanic culture, specifically Mexican-American culture, in a way that feels like it was written by Latinos who both love their culture and enjoy poking fun at it. 

The references to Vaporub and “El Chapulin Colorado” are subtly specific and present themselves without explanation, serving as a wink to Latino audiences without feeling the need to accommodate non-Latinos. Additionally, the use of Spanish, English and “Spanglish” occurs naturally, resembling real Latinos’ manner of speech rather than mimicking stereotypical impressions. Through its respectful representation, “Blue Beetle” is sure to draw extra attention from Latino fans.

While the film shines in its performances and cultural representation, some other aspects remain trite and cliche. The film’s villain, Victoria Kord (Susan Sarandon), is the standard evil billionaire who will stop at nothing to defeat the hero “for the greater good.” Her true motives remain unclear throughout the film as she never defines the “greater good” she seeks, preventing the audience from forming any kind of understanding of her character. 

Since the entire plot of the film surrounds Kord’s cliched pursuit of the hero without some fresh take on this kind of villain, the film’s storyline comes across as uninspired to audiences already exasperated by the recent deluge of superhero films, despite the potential of the rest of its characters.

Even though “Blue Beetle” lacks nuance in its plot and antagonist, it still serves as an incredibly entertaining watch thanks to its stellar lead performances and witty humor. While many might see this film as an unnecessary addition to the superhero genre, its playful sense of humor and accurate representation of the Latino community make it a worthwhile watch for Latinos, DC superhero fans and anyone else interested in the premise. While it might not pull everyone into the theater, it certainly makes some successful strides in cementing Blue Beetle as a household name.