Getting in Touch With Nature

For those seeking a little more adventure that doesn’t include meandering through a concrete jungle, the Washington, D.C. area has many outdoor activities that offer both an opportunity to get some exercise — just like you promised yourself you would this summer — and to see the parts of the city not dominated by Starbucks and burger joints.

HIKING
Suburban Maryland is home to the Billy Goat Trail, which is known for paths that require hikers to climb over boulders to gain spectacular views of the Potomac River. The 4.2-mile-long trail traces the side of the river and has a restaurant, Old Angler’s Inn, at the end of the path for exhausted hikers.

If you have the energy to venture further outside of the city, Great Falls Park is only 15 miles away and is accessible from either Maryland or Virginia. Both locations provide stunning views of the Great Falls, where the Potomac River gains speed and crashes over layers of rock. Both sides of the park offer miles of trails for hiking, but for those who would prefer to see the views without scrambling over rocks, the outlook locations are very accessible and require only minimal hiking. Be wary that sections of the trails do get intensive and are not for less-experienced hikers.

Rock Creek Park stretches from Georgetown to Maryland and offers an escape from the fast-paced culture of D.C. life, with opportunities for hiking, biking, rollerblading, fishing and horseback riding. The trail is known as one of the best hiking locations in the area, and if you need a break, the Rock Creek Nature Center and Planetarium Visitor Center offers a place to rest  and the Carter Barron Amphitheatre often has free concerts.

BIKING
The Chesapeake & Ohio Canal trail runs from the District to Cumberland, Md. Although biking the entire distance is not a small feat, it’s a fun and active way to get around D.C. traffic and allows you to explore the area while still getting some exercise. The path is made of clay, so it’s not the easiest ride, and newer bikers are recommended to start out on the first 20 miles, which are the most popular.

The Mount Vernon Trail is a favorite among both tourists and locals. Not only does it provide views of the Potomac and the monuments, but it also passes through Old Town Alexandria, Va., which is a great place to stop to shop and eat and eventually leads to Mount Vernon, George Washington’s historic estate. The trail is relatively flat and is accessible for bikers of all levels. For those looking for a more rigorous ride, the trail does extend 18 miles along the river.

WATER ACTIVITIES
Thompson Boat Center has kayak and canoe rentals available for the hour or day, as well as hourly rentals for sailboats. Hit the water to see the city from a new perspective; taking a boat on the Potomac allows for easy sightseeing of the monuments as well as an opportunity to relax. Take advantage of the warm weather to do this, because Thompson Boat Center stops renting out come October.

Tidal Basin Paddle Boats rents out paddleboats for either two or four people to paddle around the Tidal Basin and take in the sight of the Jefferson Memorial. This activity requires less exertion than wielding a kayak paddle but still offers an active way to experience the city and its landmarks. Rent a boat with your friends, or make it romantic and bring your summer crush for a pleasant sunset paddle around the water.