GU Bindaas Keeps Bollywood Dreams Alive

Georgetown’s South Asian Society is known for sponsoring the university’s largest and most popular annual cultural show, Rangila. The performance attracts a large number of students as both participants and audience members and is one of the most anticipated events each year. It seems as though Georgetown’s student body has some sort of insatiable hunger for cultural dance shows. Enter GUBindaas, the university’s newest dance group hoping to capitalize on this demand.

In addition to being the university’s latest dance troupe, GU Bindaas — whose name means “awesome” in Bollywood lingo — is also one of the newest clubs on campus, formed only three weeks ago. It was founded by Marisha Wickremsinhe (NHS ’15), Sana Imam (COL ’15), Mariam Matin (COL ’15), SmitiMohan (MSB ’15), Trishla Jain (SFS ’15) and Erika Solem (COL ’15) as a Bollywood-style dance group with a focus on all-inclusivity.

Although still a fledgling dance troupe, Bindaas currently boasts more than 25 members and, in the coming months, hopes to attract more interested students, regardless of whether or not they have any prior dancing experience.

For this reason, the group does not require an audition to join.

“It allows people to come outside of their comfort zone,” Wickremsinhe said. “If you go to audition for a dance troupe and you’ve never danced before, the likelihood that you’ll [actually] go out and dance is so slim. Everyone has that ability.”

She also stressed the fact that members are not even required to perform with the group if they don’t want to, though they are still welcome to come to practices and learn the routines.

“I think it really helps the atmosphere of the group,” said Wickremsinhe.

On March 24, GU Bindaas will put on their first performance at the Georgetown Program Board Charity Spring Fashion Show, of which all proceeds will go toward the Roslin Orphanage of West Timor, Indonesia.

Currently, the members of GU Bindaas are hard at work preparing for their debut.

“We have two practices a week, and sometimes the choreographers will have a special practice, just to make sure we have everything in order and to get the new dance moves going,” Wickremsinhe said. “It’s basically a four hour commitment [per week].”

The performance will showcase a medley of various Bollywood songs and dance routines infused with elements of hip-hop.

“Basically, it’s your typical dance performance, but we’re going to bring a whole new element to Georgetown,” Wickremsinhe said. “No other group on campus does strictly Bollywood.”

When asked about the future of GU Bindaas, Wickremsinhe expressed the group’s desire to become an established club on campus that will provide a way for students to dance and appreciate Bollywood music.

“Hopefully, a lot of people … can just have this new experience and be part of something much likeRangila, but keep that going throughout the semester and have multiple performances,” she said.

If  you are interested in joining the troupe, contact [email protected] or join the GU Bindaas Facebook group. Practices are on Tuesdays from 10 to 12 p.m. and Saturdays from 3 to 5 p.m. in Yates.