HUNGRY HOYA: Mi Vida, Your Taco Tuesday Destination

There is no doubt in my mind that Mexican food is the superior cuisine. I’ve tried it all: crispy tacos from the gas station, Michelin-starred Oaxacan flavors and street food in Mexico City. It’s a social food — nothing solidifies a bond like a big bowl of salsa and a basket of salty tortilla chips. 

When it comes to Taco Tuesday cravings, Georgetown has ample locations to celebrate. El Centro and Los Cuates are classics, and neither requires an Uber. Some might argue Chipotle does not deserve a mention, but come talk to me after you’ve accrued enough points for free guacamole. 

Chaia is great for all eaters, particularly our friends with dietary restrictions who are often left out of traditional taco fun. Guapo’s Restaurant offers a lively waterfront experience, and Amigo Mio is an acceptable spot to refuel after some M Street shopping. These places are near and dear to every Hoya’s heart, but I would argue that the most delicious options exist outside of the Georgetown bubble. 

While it might seem like overkill to venture so far for a tortilla stuffed with filling, if you follow my recommendation, I guarantee you will return to the Hilltop satisfied with your decision. 

Mi Vida is my destination of choice. With two locations, one on the Wharf and the other on 14th Street, a meal at Mi Vida brings great food and a great atmosphere.

The latest venture of Washington, D.C.-based restaurant company Knead Hospitality, Mi Vida 14th St. opened this past August. As a two-story building with a bright pink mural for an exterior, Mi Vida perfectly embodies the neighborhood’s vibrant nightlife scene — and the excitement doesn’t stop when you step inside and take your seat. 

Celebrity chef Roberto Santibañez focuses on shareable bites that offer a fresh take on classic Mexican dishes, like guacamole with blue cheese and taquitos with miso-marinated tuna. 

If you are looking to share several small bites rather than restrict yourself to an entree, I recommend the Fiesta de Botanas. The platter consists of the restaurant’s most popular snacks, like chicharrones and empanadas, and is a great way to maximize your Mi Vida experience. Parties of two or more can partake in Sabores de Mexico, which offers shareable portions of the restaurant’s greatest hits, including carne asada and enchiladas suizas. 

If you are in the mood for a yummy cocktail — or mocktail! — the Vuelo a Mexico includes four drinks and guarantees a good time. 

Upon encountering the restaurant by chance, my friend and I ordered the works: house guacamole with homemade chips, chile-rubbed oranges, broiled chihuahua cheese with jalapeños, ahi tuna taquitos, brick-roasted vegetables and sweet fried plantains. While we didn’t opt for one of the menu’s various tasting options, I will definitely do so in the future. The offerings are extensive, the food is delicious and there simply isn’t enough room in my minifridge to house the leftovers I tried to take home with me. 

Both Mi Vida locations are open every day for dinner, weekdays for lunch and weekends for brunch. Sync your Taco Tuesday with Happy Hour, which takes place Monday through Friday from 3 to 6 p.m. and features discounted drinks, small bites and tacos. 

Overall, if you’re willing to go the distance, Mi Vida is more than worth it to satisfy your Mexican cravings. 

Audrey Biles is a first-year in the College. The Hungry Hoya appears online and in print every other week during the fall semester.