Movie Review: ‘The Best of Me’

TEASER-TRAILER.COM Michelle Monaghan and James Marsden star in the film adaptation of the Nicholas Spark novel, "The Best of Me."
TEASER-TRAILER.COM
Michelle Monaghan and James Marsden star in the film adaptation of the Nicholas Spark novel, “The Best of Me.”

★★★☆☆

Based on the bestselling novel by Nicholas Sparks, “The Best of Me” is a charming, timeless love story of two high school sweethearts reunited after 20 years apart. Its plot is a rollercoaster of heartfelt and heartbreaking moments and its characters are engaging and complex.

The film begins with Amanda, played by Michelle Monaghan (from “Made of Honor”), and Dawson, played by James Marsden (from “27 Dresses” and “Hairspray”), returning to their hometown after news of the death of a beloved mutual friend and mentor. Alongside this present-day reunion, the film also flashes back to show the once-budding romance between a teenage Amanda (Liana Liberato) and Dawson (Luke Bracey).

The young pair succeeds in creating a passionate, but troubled, relationship and develops a strong emotional pull for the audience. Marsden is captivating as the brooding and contemplative adult Dawson and Monaghan is sweet and quick-witted as Amanda.

Their first meeting and their reunion, while 20 years apart, are somewhat parallel stories of the prevalence and fragility of first love. The love story depicted in this film, in true Sparks fashion, is life-altering and passionate, but also presents moments of heartache. While the scenarios the characters engage in are undoubtedly similar, the actors are quite distinct in their portrayals of the characters. This may detract from the overall goal of the movie, but separately, the stories are still engaging and romantic.

Amanda is a refreshing, modern female lead for a romance film. She does most of the courting in the relationship and exhibits great moments of quick wit and assertiveness that resonates with the feminist in modern viewers. This character is hardly a damsel in distress, waiting for her Prince Charming. She is a self-sustaining, goal-oriented character that isn’t afraid of a challenge, or of disappointment.

This film, directed by Michael Hoffman, as expected, is hardly game-changing. It fits in the mold of a traditional Sparks romance: cute but dramatic, with an ending that could be seen as either uplifting or depressing depending on your outlook. It has its sweet moments, but there aren’t really any scenes that are truly unique in the genre of romance.

That being said, if you’re into traditional Nicholas Sparks, you will not be disappointed by this film. It provides a unique take on the book and an entertaining experience for viewers. There are moments that warm your heart, moments that shock you, and a few (I admit) that bring a tear to your eye.

This film may not be the best Sparks film adaptation (“The Notebook” undoubtedly holds the prize), but it is hardly the worst. What makes this film interesting is its depiction of the cyclical nature of love. The characters experience, in both of their encounters, a strong emotional connection, but face lingering challenges to their relationship. There are great scenes in which shared memories are revived and audiences are compelled to believe in the strength of first love.

‘The Best of Me” is a traditional adaptation of a Sparks novel: it depicts a great love story and gives audiences moments of both joy and despair. It’s a great girl’s night or date-night movie that will tug at your heartstrings and give you, just as most Sparks stories do, hope for great — but hopefully not tragic — love.