New Spin-Off Scores Another Hit for CW

Last Thursday marked the premiere of the new CW series, “The Originals,” and episode two aired Tuesday at 8 p.m., the show’s regular timeslot. A spin-off series of “The Vampire Diaries,” “The Originals” is set in New Orleans, and focuses on a family of vampires who have been living in extravagance, debauchery and familial strife for over a thousand years. In the opening scene of the premiere, the back story begins to unfold, and viewers discover that the sexy and powerful Mikaelson siblings arrived in Louisiana when it was nothing but a lowly penal colony. For several hundred years, they established New Orleans as their home. Forced to flee at the dawn of the twentieth century, they have returned to find their city under the control of a vampire from their past, Marcel. The plot quickly thickens, relational intricacies emerge and the lines between the expected good and evil are blurred.

The idea of a “Vampire Diaries” spin-off originated with the fans, whose suggestions for possible storylines and casting blew up the blogosphere last spring. The CW ran a backdoor pilot episode of the series during an episode of “TVD” that received enough attention for the network to approve “The Originals” for this fall’s line-up. “TVD” is by far the CW’s most popular series, and it is quite clear that “The Originals” is primarily being introduced to a previously established fan base. Paradoxically, this may hinder the show’s success as the series will need more than just “TVD” fans who are free on Tuesday nights.

The writers of “The Originals” seem to be well aware of this hidden danger, as the premiere excels in setting the show as a separate and self-contained drama. Of course, there is the proverbial tension between the “good” and “bad” brothers, Elijah and Niklaus Mikaelson, respectively. Elijah, played by Daniel Gillies, serves as the voice of reason and morality, much in the way that Stefan’s character does in “TVD.” He exists in stark contrast to Niklaus, who is portrayed by British actor Joseph Morgan. Niklaus’ character is really the center of the series; he is a sociopathic and unpredictable protagonist, one whom viewers still cannot help but loving.

Though it is hard to judge a series based on two episodes, “The Originals” seems to have its own set of potentially addictive characteristics. Enmity between Marcel and the Mikaelsons, vampires and witches, mortals and supernatural creatures and all conceivable clashes of these groups create a world where alliances are constantly shifting and loyalty is a relative term. The central conflict of the show is that Niklaus has fathered a child and now must protect his miracle offspring’s pregnant (werewolf) mother, despite his paranoia and belief that love for others creates exploitable weakness.

Perhaps the best part of “The Originals” is the flashbacks. A family with a millennium of baggage understandably comes with some fantastic back stories, and the ancient drama has a way of creeping back into everyone’s lives. “The Originals” is largely appealing because it is simultaneously a story of the past and present. In addition to the chronological development of the characters, viewers also get a unique glimpse into the development of New Orleans. Though The Big Easy was not the original location chosen by writers, it plays out as the perfect backdrop — a place where death, magic, debauchery and evil are not only able to exist unquestioned, but thrive.

“The Originals” has potential, but its sustainability has yet to be confirmed. If it can keep the flashbacks coming, take advantage of its setting and build up a fan culture unique to that of its popular counterpart, it may indeed make its mark on current television culture.