Georgetown Universityā€™s Newspaper of Record since 1920

New Website Evolves into a Social Phenomenon

Pinterest.com
Pinterest.com

Puppies, cupcakes, wedding gowns and nail art: a list of your guilty pleasures or some of the most popular content on one of the fastest-growing social media sites in history? The answer is both. With 104 million unique visitors last month, a year after its launch in March 2010, the popularity of theĀ  social image-sharing site pinterest.com has skyrocketed; its traffic levels are topped only by social-media giants Facebook and Twitter. ButĀ PinterestĀ has proven to be different than all other tech trends ā€” the vast majority of the users are women.

PinterestĀ lets users createĀ ā€œpinboards,ā€ a virtual space for each user where one can collect favorite photos, hobbies, recipes and much more that is found on the Internet. The goal is simple: To connect everyone in the world through the ā€˜thingsā€™ they find interesting.

ā€œPinningā€ something can be compared to bookmarking a page, but instead of creating a long list of sites stashed in oneā€™s Internet browser, Pinning lets users select photos to display and share with their followers. They can then organize those photos onto a variety of themed boards. Many users donā€™t post their own content, simplyĀ ā€œrepinningā€Ā the photos selected by others to their own boards.

With a quick glance at the most popular pins, you will see everything from baby animals to cocktail recipes, wedding ideas to arts and crafts. There are funny photos, handsome celebrities and makeup tips. Though they all appear together on the ā€œpopularā€ board, they can be sorted into categories like food, fitness and the vague ā€œmy life.ā€

Like manyĀ Hoyas, CiaraĀ FoldenauerĀ (COL ā€™14) is a part of the growingĀ PinterestĀ trend. Sheā€™s been on the site since the beginning and has witnessed its growth over time.

FoldenauerĀ curates seven boards, including one for her favorite photographs ā€” the type of content that originally lured her to the site ā€” as well as boards for recipes, inspirational quotes and home decorating ideas. She attributes her love for the site to its unique structure and individualized content.

ā€œItā€™s a new way of connecting with people,ā€Ā FoldenauerĀ said. ā€œItā€™s not like Twitter because [tweets are] so short and just words.Ā PinterestĀ is a lot more personal. ā€¦ Twitter is more narcissistic.ā€

She isnā€™t alone in her belief that the growth ofĀ PinterestĀ marks a new era of distinctive, personalized social media content.

ā€œPinterestĀ is just for you,ā€ ElizabethĀ BuffoneĀ (COL ā€™14) said. ā€œTwitter is all about what youā€™re doing.PinterestĀ is personal because itā€™s what youā€™re into.ā€

The site shifts a userā€™s focus from the opinions of their peers to their own ideas ā€” instead of posting things you hope your friends will ā€œlikeā€ orĀ retweet, itā€™s about putting together things you want to remember.

Of course, while people pin smart tips, they often never carry out those plans. While SarahĀ Christiano(COL ā€™13) pins recipes or craft ideas onto her boards, sheā€™s never actually used one.

ā€œI have not actually done any of those ideas, but Iā€™ve told people about them because theyā€™re clever,ā€ChristianoĀ said.

BuffoneĀ is a little better about using her pins in real life.

ā€œI like to cook, and when I want to cook I look for recipes [online], but I get tired. But thatā€™s why I usePinterest, because I have things that I want to cook and now theyā€™re organized [on my board],ā€BuffoneĀ said.

ā€œItā€™s the only organized thing Iā€™ve ever done ā€” my Pinterest.ā€

BothĀ ChristianoĀ andĀ FoldenauerĀ have found themselves involved in one particularĀ PinterestĀ craze ā€” wedding boards.

ā€œWe would all be lying to ourselves if we said that none of us have been thinking about our weddings,ā€ChristianoĀ said. ā€œWe just see pretty things and pictures and think ā€˜Thatā€™s nice, maybe one day.ā€™ā€

FoldenauerĀ is more convinced that her pins will help her in the future.

ā€œSome of the [wedding ideas] are so unique. I want to remember [them]. You can pin things to remember for later on, even if itā€™s not for 10, 20 years,ā€Ā FoldernauerĀ said.

ChristianoĀ enjoys the site because of the chance it gives her for self-expression.

ā€œIā€™m not a very creative person individually, but I can steal [the ideas of other users] and feel creative,ā€ChristianoĀ said.

Pinterestā€™sĀ creative model has allowed the siteā€™s users to create the type of content they want to see, butĀ ChristianoĀ believes this has turned men away from the site.