Party in the USA

sodahead.com
sodahead.com

Saturday

IndepenDance Saturday 

What happens when you get world famous Dee-Jay Paul van Dyk spinning trance tracks on July 4 weekend? IndepenDance of course. Accessorize your red, white and blue digs with some glow sticks and rave on at Fur Nightclub.

The event starts at 10 p.m. and is located at 33 Patterson St. NE. Admission is $20, for more information visit their website.

Sunday

The Big Boom feat. See-I

For a funkier spin on this weekend’s activities, head over to U Street Music Hall for a local star-studded DJ. The house band of18th Street Lounge, See-I, whose collective boasts members of trip-hop powerhouse Thievery Corporation, will be performing their eclectic reggae and downtempo sound. Also sharing the stage, Fort Knox Five are local dub darlings who lay on the electro-funk sound heavily. Rounding off the set will be DJs Rex Riddem and Nu-Mark, who has collaborated with Damian Marley, Nas and The Lonely Island.

The event starts at 9 p.m. and is located at 1115 U St. NW. Admission is $10, for more information visit ustreetmusichall.com.

Monday

Declaration of Independence Reading Ceremony

Sure it may be Government major cliché, but what could be more fun than celebrating Independence Day by seeing what started it all. Thomas Jefferson, John Adams and Benjamin Franklin impersonators will read the historical document after a presentation of the colors and performance by the Fife and Drum Corps. Period clothing optional.

The event starts at 10 a.m. and is located at the National Archives on Constitution Avenue between Seventh and Ninth Streets NW. Admission is free. For more information call 202-357-5000.

National Independence Day Parade

The annual parade draws hundreds of thousands and features marching bands from around the country, military units and patriotic floats.

The parade begins 11 a.m. at Constitution Avenue between Seventh and 17th streets NW. Admission is free. For more information call 800-778-7373.

Brightest Young Things Summer Camp

D.C. bloggers and yuppies extraordinaire, Brightest Young Things, will be hosting the hippest (and hipster-est) pool party in the district at the Capitol Skyline Hotel. With DJs Que Sera and Outlaw spinning the beats, the party promises to have bullhorns, inflatable pool toys and “waaaaaaaaaaaay too many man tanks.” We’re not complaining.

The event begins at noon and is located at 10 I St. SW. Admission is $15. For more information visit their web site.

A Capitol Fourth

See what millions of Americans are watching on TV firsthand, as pop stars and marching band “pops” alike prepare for the main event — the fireworks of course. Hosted by actor Jimmy Smits, headlining the party will be Steve Martin and the Steep Canyon Rangers, a surprisingly celebrated bluegrass band, as well as Josh Groban, Jordin Sparks, Glee star Matthew Morrison and Little Richard. For a more traditional Independence Day tribute, the U.S. Army Herald Trumpets and Ceremonial Band and

the U.S. Air Force Band Ceremonial Brass will be playing in signature American style.

The event begins at 8 p.m. and is located at the U.S. Capitol between East Capitol and

First Streets. Admission is free. For more information call (202) 619-7222.

Fireworks on the National Mall

The classic Capitol celebration, unparalleled by any other city (yeah I’m talking to you, Boston Pops) will sure to delight fans of America of all ages. The best viewing spot is on the mall, but as a Hoya, you may find downtown a tad too crowded and settle for a spot on the Rosslyn-Key Bridge or a rooftop.

The event begins at 9:10 p.m. Admission is free (duh). For more information call 202-

619-7222.