Romantic Drama Is “Like Crazy” Good

“Like Crazy,” a quirky romantic drama, follows a long-term relationship between Anna and Jacob, who meet during their time at university. Anna (Felicity Jones) is an aspiring writer from the U.K.  who comes to the United States to study at a Los Angeles university, where she meets Jacob (Anton Yelchin), an aspiring furniture designer. After Anna makes the first move, the two fall madly in love, and as time goes on, their love for one another grows, but their relationship suffers due to circumstances beyond  their control.

After they both graduate and Anna’s visa expires, the critical drama in their once storybook-perfect relationship begins to take place. Dating long-distance shows all of the fissures in the relationship, which they both try their best to fix. Although each tries to move on, there is an undeniable attraction between the two, and they are unable to let go, which results in a tumultuous romance.
The film accurately and emotively depicts young love and all of the ups and downs that come with it, not to mention the feelings associated with being in a long-term, long-distance relationship.
The acting is exquisite —  both Yelchin and Jones give their best performances to date. The audience can immediately connect with the two lead characters and sympathizes with them while their relationship is strong, and also when it begins to crumble due to the distance between them.

ROTTENTOMATOES.COM
ROTTENTOMATOES.COM

The strength of the film comes not from the script but rather from the performances delivered by the actors. Director and co-writer Drake Doremus gave an outline of the script to the two stars, and they were allowed to improvise most of the dialogue. This improvisation adds another layer of reality to the movie, but it also creates a lot of missed opportunities. Throughout the film there are moments when dialogue would fit well and where a well-written line would add clarity. The film’s two young stars do, however, deliver some very memorable and moving pieces of dialogue that will stick in the viewer’s head for quite some time.

The directing and cinematography add much to the film as well. They contribute to the sense of reality that is prevalent through all 90 minutes of the film. “Like Crazy” is  directed in a very no-frills, almost amateur fashion. There’s a lot of hand-held camera motion as well as purposeful blurriness and abstract zooming in and out, which allow the audience to relate to the film. At times it almost feels like you’re in the room with the two of them and that it’s all happening right in front of you.
At other times, however, the hand-held method of filming can become distracting and even nauseating when watched on a big screen. One scene in particular, when the camera is following the couple as they walk ahead, is a perfect example of the distracting nature of the directing style. In the end, however, it’s obvious that the directing and associated cinematography are necessary to help tell Anna and Jacob’s story. Another positive aspect of the film is the soundtrack. The choice of music gorgeously conveys the emotions of the characters. The piano pieces that accent each dramatic moment of tension between the two main characters make for especially moving scenes.
As a work, “Like Crazy” is a beautiful portrait of young love and the way it ebbs and flows throughout a person’s life. It is definitely worth seeing.