‘Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem’ Captures the Franchise’s Manic Adolescent Energy

★★★★☆

Reviving a franchise is no easy feat. As iterations, spinoffs and retreads are relentlessly created for the chief purpose of fattening wallets, production quality tends to decline.

After a pair of ill-conceived, Michael Bay-produced iterations crawled through theaters in the mid-2010s, it seemed that “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles” fans were doomed to never receive the cinematic experience they deserved. The arrival of “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem” on Aug. 2, however, marks clever shifts in animation style, humor and characterization that, against all odds, have brought the beloved franchise back to life.

Directed by Jeff Rowe, fresh off his 2021 critical success “The Mitchells vs. the Machines,” “Mutant Mayhem” finds the familiar foursome of lovable adolescent reptiles coming of age in contemporary New York City under the watchful eye of mutated rat/father figure Splinter (Jackie Chan). 

As Leonardo (Nicolas Cantu), Michelangelo (Shamon Brown Jr.), Donatello (Micah Abbey) and Raphael (Brady Noon) explore the metropolis, they dream of going to high school and being accepted as normal teenagers. When a menacing, mutated criminal called Superfly (Ice Cube) threatens humanity, the turtles are thrust into a battle that might give them a chance to prove their worth as heroes and gain the world’s acceptance.

Undeniably, the most notable achievement of “Mutant Mayhem” is its eye-popping, distinctive animation. Taking inspiration from the frenetic 2D elements of 2018’s “Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse” and 2022’s “Puss in Boots: The Last Wish,” the animators of “Mutant Mayhem” use 2D visuals to create endlessly detailed imagery that depicts all the grimy, tarnished, imperfect corners of New York City.

This bizarre but beautiful animation shines brightest during the film’s action sequences, especially in the first half of the movie. One montage scored by Blackstreet and Dr. Dre’s “No Diggity” that displays the turtles cutting a path of destruction through the city’s underworld is particularly exhilarating.

This messy, warped animation style perfectly fits not only the fast-paced, frenzied nature of the source material (the mere concept of humanoid, pubescent terrapins well-versed in martial arts is inherently random and chaotic), but also the film’s story. The titular shelled teenagers — despite their heroic intentions — repeatedly make mistakes both in battle and in social situations throughout the movie, mirroring the visual imperfections featured in the animation.

In a way, this thematic representation of imperfection constitutes a worthy message for younger viewers; every aspect of life and personhood will always be flawed, but those with kind intentions can still work to create a better world for themselves and others.

The emotional power of this message is matched only by the film’s unexpectedly well-conceived humor. By infusing the script with jokes alluding to contemporary pop culture (including a hilarious reference to “Avengers: Endgame”), screenwriters Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg enable the film to appeal to viewers who are coming of age with the turtles.

That humor is further heightened by the shockingly strong voice acting from the relatively unknown, young actors playing the turtles. Cantu, Brown Jr., Abbey and Noon use amusing and emotion-infused line deliveries to flesh out distinct personalities for each of the turtles. 

Cantu, for instance, employs a wavering voice to depict the neuroses of the straight-laced Leonardo, who longs for his brothers to accept him as a leader, while the high-voiced Abbey perfectly captures the nerdy innocence of Donatello.

Though most of the other voice actors in the film’s expansive cast, including Jackie Chan, Maya Rudolph, Ayo Edebiri, Giancarlo Esposito and Paul Rudd, perform well, Ice Cube’s portrayal of Superfly is, unfortunately, a weak point for the film. Though occasionally entertaining, Ice Cube’s over-the-top deliveries make Superfly — intended as a ruthless crime lord — appear silly rather than intimidating.

Once Superfly appears, the movie declines in quality, as its amusing, well-written first act gives way to predictable “superhero vs. supervillain” story beats, culminating in a conclusion that feels too tidy and rote when framed against the film’s creative visual aesthetic and otherwise clever storytelling.

In spite of these flaws, “Mutant Mayhem” manages to display an exciting narrative that revives the “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles” franchise in visually spectacular fashion. The film proves that when talented writers, visual artists and actors are involved, even a franchise reboot can be smartly crafted. Cowabunga!