The Crushing Weight of ‘The Iron Claw’

One exciting trend in recent cinema involves the injection of actors known for their comedic or blockbuster roles into dramas helmed by auteur directors. From “Twilight” star Robert Pattinson’s wild yet nuanced performance in Robert Eggers’s “The Lighthouse” to comedy king Adam Sandler’s brilliantly harried turn in the Safdie brothers’ “Uncut Gems,” these roles have proven that talented directors can draw strong dramatic performances from the unlikeliest of actors.

And now, another actor has entered this conversation: Zac Efron of the famed “High School Musical,” who delivers one of the best performances of 2023 in “The Iron Claw.”

Written and directed by Sean Durkin and released Dec. 22, “The Iron Claw” portrays the emotional true story of the Von Erich brothers, a quartet of young men attempting to make their mark upon the world of professional wrestling under the domineering influence of their father (Holt McCallany), himself a former wrestler.

The film’s first hour unfolds in the upbeat fashion one might expect from a sports biopic, with brothers Kevin (Efron), Kerry (Jeremy Allen White), David (Harris Dickinson) and Mike (Stanley Simons) working to reach greater heights in the wrestling world while simultaneously striving to preserve the fraternal bond that unites them. 

Nostalgia oozes off the screen thanks to the warm chemistry between the brothers, who, when not training for their next bout, embark on sunlit car rides to hamburger joints and college parties as hits like “Tom Sawyer” and “(Don’t Fear) The Reaper” dance in the background.

And then, roughly halfway through the film, everything takes a turn for the worse.

At a moment when the brothers are beginning to obtain their greatest successes — both in wrestling and, in Kevin’s case, romantic love — the Von Erichs are forced to confront a sudden tragedy, leading to a downward spiral of despair and death from which no escape seems possible.

This downfall — which, sadly, serves as a largely accurate depiction of the real family’s story — makes “The Iron Claw” one of the most emotionally devastating films ever created. No words can sufficiently prepare any viewer for the tear-inducing scenes featured during the film’s 132 minute runtime, especially the ephemeral afterlife sequence that serves as its final climax.

The movie’s unyieldingly woeful plot is made all the more heartrending thanks to some beautiful performances, especially that of a transformed Efron. Efron’s ability to believably convey unbridled joy, intense anxiety and deep sorrow makes him the standout among a group of talented performers.

Efron and Durkin craft an endearing persona for Kevin Von Erich that contradicts the machismo one might expect from a Hollywood depiction of a male wrestler. In defiance of the draconian patriarchy his father establishes, Kevin supports and respects his spouse, commits himself to protecting his brothers and channels his grief into kindness towards his own children. This characterization develops Kevin into the cinematic antithesis of toxic masculinity.

Just as impactful as Efron are the impeccably cast supporting actors. White, wearing an expression that often seems on the verge of tears without giving into them, gives the brawny Kerry Von Erich heartbreaking vulnerability. McCallany overcomes some occasionally formulaic dialogue by sporting a consummately glowering visage that makes his despotic character an uncommonly hateable villain.

With these standout performances nicely complemented by strong work from Dickinson, Simons, Maura Tierney and Lily James, “The Iron Claw” boasts one of the year’s most talented ensemble casts. Though Durkin’s assured direction and writing amount to a poignant vision, his film would have left little lasting impact without those committed actors, all of whom display a willingness to venture into the story’s emotional darkness.

But perhaps the saddest aspect of “The Iron Claw” is the lack of recognition it has obtained. Though critics have praised Durkin’s movie, it has received no consideration in the awards circuit and has underperformed at the box office. Consequently, the film seems destined to fade into the cinematic backdrop of 2023, a year dominated by more popular biopics like “Oppenheimer,” “Maestro” and “Priscilla.”

But “The Iron Claw” does not deserve this fate. Durkin’s film not only honors the calamitous true story of the Von Erichs, but it also offers a meaningful portrayal of how an unsupportive parent’s psychological abuse can destroy lives. 

This theme may make “The Iron Claw” difficult to watch, but its clear-eyed perspective on the destructive influence of an abusive parent makes the Von Erichs’ story a timeless cautionary tale. The well-acted film, therefore, warrants more appreciation, as it offers a memorable, important viewing experience to all those brave enough to endure Durkin’s assault on the tear ducts.