Alexander Hamilton Society Returns

Seven students have relaunched the Alexander Hamilton Society, a non-partisan, nonprofit organization that promotes debate on foreign policy and national security, after its absence from campus last school year.

President Benjamin Reiser (COL ’17) said the organization’s main goal is to encourage discourse about a variety of issues.

“We have no mission or agenda or party affiliation,” Reiser said. “Our main goal is just to work as a group of students on campus to create and hold these events where these ideas can be discussed and where these complex concepts can just really be put through a forum.”

The Washington, D.C.-based parent organization was founded in 2010 and oversees 49 university chapters and four professional chapters in Washington, D.C, New York City, San Francisco and Miami. Events hosted on campuses and in cities throughout the nation are intended to bring together students, faculty and other professionals. Individual chapters choose the issues and speakers they want to focus on, while the society exists as a way to facilitate and fund these interests.

Reiser said he was approached last spring about re-launching the Georgetown chapter, which fizzled after the 2012-2013 year.

According to Reiser, members of the AHS headquarters expressed interest in bringing the club back to Georgetown’s campus.

“We’re obviously one of the top, leading universities in terms of just having political or foreign policy discourse in the first place, but being in Washington, it can never hurt to have too much discourse,” Reiser said.

George Washington University and American University also have chapters.

Sydney Adams (COL ’18), the society’s co-director of publicity, said the Alexander Hamilton Society addresses the high interest in politics on campus in a more unbiased way than other groups do.

“I found that a lot of groups on campus were very much targeted towards one certain ideal, and if you really didn’t fit that mold, or if you had different ideas, a lot times it was intimidating to get those ideas across,” Adams said. “It definitely offers the opportunity for people to learn more about different views. I know, certainly, people might identify as a Democrat or as a Republican, but I think this really brings both groups together and offers a discourse that really isn’t available anywhere else on campus.”

The first event of this year, “Does the United States have the right strategy to defeat ISIS?” will take place Nov. 3 at 6:30 p.m. in Lohrfink Auditorium.

Georgetown government professor Matthew Kroenig and Stephen David, a professor of political science at Johns Hopkins University, are the scheduled speakers. Monday’s event is co-sponsored by the government department. The national society also sponsors speakers at events on university campuses.

Jeff Naft (COL ’17), the society’s director of events, will serve as a moderator for Monday’s debate. In developing the event and creating the questions for the speakers, he said he made sure all sides of the issue will be presented.

“Sometimes it’s hard, because people are marginalized or stigmatized to go one way or another, and we’re trying really hard to make sure that if we’re going to talk about a conservative thought on foreign policy, we’re going to make sure that we have a really good liberal counterview to it,” Naft said.

Naft compared the society to the Lecture Fund, which brings notable speakers, including former White House Press Secretary Jay Carney, actor Kevin Spacey and investor Warren Buffet, to Georgetown.

“We are like the Lecture Fund of debates,” Naft said. “It’s our job to make sure that we set the topic and we set the stage and make sure we have really good, fair questions.”

The debate will also be the first test for the organization in increasing its campus presence, since the Student Activities Commission does not currently recognize AHS.

Adams and Paul Spezia (SFS ’17), the society’s co-director of publicity, both said that the group’s Facebook page, which recently exceeded 100 likes, has brought attention to the organization. In addition to social media exposure, Adams and Spezia plan to table and poll students to generate publicity for Monday’s event.

Spezia added that he is optimistic about turnout on Monday, due to general interest regarding ISIS, heightened by the excitement of election season.

Director of Logistics Max Rosner (SFS ’18) expressed similar optimism about student interest and said AHS is unique, even with existing foreign policy and debate groups on campus.

“It promotes debate between these leaders, not just that this person is going to present a 15-minute monologue and maybe take one or two questions. This is going to be much more engaging with world leaders,” Rosner said.