Dean Selection Process Begins

As part of the university’s selection process for a new dean, the Georgetown College Dean Search Committee hosted four town halls Tuesday to gather student and faculty opinion on selection criteria for a replacement for Dean of the College Chester Gillis.

Held in the Arrupe Hall multipurpose room, the town halls were held in four different timeslots during the day, each for different groups on campus – one session for undergraduate students, one session for graduate students and two sessions for staff and faculty. Led by Terry Pinkard the 24 members of the search committee – which include senior leadership in various departments, staff members and students – attended the town halls.

Gillis announced last spring he would step down as dean by the end of the 2016-2017 academic year, and will return as a faculty member in the theology department. Before beginning his tenure as dean in 2009, Gillis was the Amaturo chair in the theology department.

According to the leadership profile posted by the university on Georgetown’s website – which is used to guide the selection process – the new dean needs to demonstrate excellence in both academics and administration and be able to lead the college in a changing academic landscape.

“The ideal candidate for this position will be an accomplished scholar, a talented administrator, and a strategic thinker with the intellectual and personal qualities essential to guiding the College through a challenging and changing academic environment,” the profile read.

The new dean will also assist the university in several large projects, including expansions to academic programs and further support for the Working Group on Racial Injustice.

“The College will contribute to several transformational initiatives currently underway, including a major expansion of the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, the Working Group on Racial Injustice, the establishment of a Humanities Center,” the profile read.

The Dean of the College is responsible for managing and supporting the 26 academic departments and 12 interdisciplinary programs in the school. The dean also oversees the development of academic policy and curriculum for the college.