Graduates Receive Gates Cambridge Scholarships

Two Georgetown graduates, Carol Ibe (GRD ’06) and Aya Waller-Bey (COL ’14), received Gates Cambridge Scholarships in mid-February, which offer a full-time postgraduate degree in any subject at the University of Cambridge.

Founded by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation in 2000, the Gates Cambridge Scholarship program is one of the most competitive scholarships in the world, with the goal of developing a global network of future leaders dedicated to improving the lives of others.

There are currently over 1,300 Gates Cambridge scholars and alumni from over 90 countries. Ninety-five new U.S. and international scholarships are awarded each year.

Out of the 800 annual applicants from the United States received scholarships, 40 were selected, including Ibe and Waller-Bey. Ibe and Waller-Bey underwent a rigorous selection process from September to mid-October, which culminated with interviews in January.

Ibe, who completed a Master of Science in Molecular Biology and Biochemistry at Georgetown in 2006, said that she was surprised upon being notified of her acceptance.

“It still feels likes I’m in a dream,” Ibe said. “Even when I received the notification that I was shortlisted, I felt like it was unreal. For me, it’s been a wonderful experience, still unbelievable to some extent.”

At Cambridge, Ibe seeks to complete a Ph.D. in plant sciences to further her understanding of rice cultivars and agroecosystems in order to contribute to the improvement of food security in African nations.

In 2013, Ibe founded JR Biotek, a biotechnology education-based company dedicated to training scientists in Africa to utilize biotechnologies in improving agricultural productivity, human health and environmental sustainability.

“My passion is working with African nations to find more effective ways to improve food security,” Ibe said. “There is more that can be done to provide food for the millions of people who are suffering every day from hunger, malnutrition and poverty. With my Ph.D., I want to gain the skills I need to inspire and empower a new generation of scientists in Africa.”

Ibe emphasized the quality of education she received at Georgetown as a major factor in her academic and career success.

“Prior to coming to Georgetown, I completed my undergraduate degree in Nigeria,” Ibe said. “We did not have laboratories that were as well-equipped, or professors who really knew much about the important field of molecular biotechnology. I wanted to take what I learned at Georgetown back to Africa, and I would say that Georgetown was key in my interest in starting JR Biotek.”

Maria Chiara Monaco-Kushner, Ibe’s former colleague and scientist at the National Institutes of Health, said that Ibe had the initiative and desire to help others.

“I didn’t doubt she would receive this scholarship,” Monaco-Kushner said. “She’s an incredible, intelligent person, full of initiative, and I’m sure she’ll do well in the Cambridge program. One thing that struck me was her dream to help people in African nations. She had the possibility to start her company and she wanted to give back — that’s what I really admire about her.”

Waller-Bey completed a bachelor’s degree in sociology with a social justice concentration at Georgetown, and currently works in the university’s Office of Undergraduate Admissions as an admissions officer and African-American recruitment coordinator.

Waller-Bey echoed Ibe’s description of her initial response to receiving the scholarship.

“I’m still overwhelmed,” Waller-Bey said. “I had different emotions, firstly disbelief, then joy. I feel extremely blessed to have the opportunity to complete my education and also be a part of a community of people who are passionate about their disciplines.”

At Cambridge, Waller-Bey is looking to pursue a master of philosophy by taking the Arts, Creativity, Education and Culture route in the Faculty of Education.

“I was drawn to Cambridge in particular because of that route,” Waller-Bey said. “I was looking for an institution of higher education that would allow me to not just study education, but also something I’m very passionate about, which is music. At Cambridge, I’m hoping to re-examine how integrating elements of hip-hop music into the classroom can increase the participatory learning of students, especially low-income students and students of color.”

Waller-Bey said that her Georgetown experience and her work in the admissions office has impacted the development of her long-term objectives.

“When I was a student, I was very involved in activism, particularly on the need for providing students of color with an environment conducive to who they are,” Waller-Bey said. “My activism and work at admissions ignited the passion I have now for creating more visibility for underrepresented, marginalized communities in education and in the media.”

Assistant professor of history Marcia Chatelain taught Waller-Bey as a freshman student and later developed a mentor relationship with the graduate.

“Aya blew me away with her passion for learning as a first-year student,” Chatelain wrote in an email to The Hoya. “I have been absolutely privileged to be her teacher and mentor, because I learn a lot from her. I know that Aya will be an incredible force in changing the nature of education. She will not only represent the very best of U.S. students, but also the spirit of Georgetown.”