GU Nixes Bus Loop Proposal

The university has dropped its proposal to install a loop road parallel to Archibald Glover Park from its 2010 Campus Plan, according to university spokeswoman Stacy Kerr.

The original loop road plan had intended to divert Georgetown University Transportation Shuttle buses from neighborhood streets to a new route behind Yates Field House and McDonough Arena. The project’s layout has been altered so that buses are now set to run past Harbin Hall.

The change comes after community groups and the District Department of Transportation opposed the plan in D.C. Zoning Commission hearings last spring.

The initial proposal for the road provoked opposition from neighborhood groups and DDOT because of its potential impacts on parkland and traffic patterns.

The decision to modify the plan for the loop road reflected the university’s efforts to weigh the needs of both the neighborhood and students, according to Kerr.

“Throughout this process, our goal was to balance the interests of our neighbors with the needs of the university,” she said in a university statement. “We looked for alternatives that would meet our goals of pedestrian safety and walkways and centralizing buses in the middle of campus, away from the neighborhood streets. The Harbin location meets those goals.”

University officials hope that the proposed turnaround location will enhance access to campus, in addition to assuaging neighborhood concerns.

“It will allow improved access to the center of campus for our faculty, staff and students in a way that also improves pedestrian walkways and addresses pedestrian safety concerns,” Kerr said.

Citing a lack of detail, neighborhood representatives were hesitant to comment on the new plan.

Advisory Neighborhood Commission 2E Chair Ron Lewis said he was unsure of the full implications of the new proposal.

“I haven’t seen the details yet,” he said. “If all of the GUTS buses are going to use the Canal Road entrance … then it would be fine. It could be fine. It’s all in the details.”

Georgetown University Student Association President Mike Meaney (SFS ’12) said that he is unsure of how the new plan will affect campus life.

“I’m not too sure what the implications of changing that are,” he said. “Hopefully this situation doesn’t have a negative impact on student life.”

Vice President for Student Affairs Todd Olson declined to comment on the new plan.