GUSA Gives Leeway to Committtees for Small Spending

Georgetown University Student Association passed a bill Sunday to allocate a budget for small discretionary spending by its committees in order to avoid consulting the Finance and Appropriation Committee for small amounts of money.

This bill will allocate $1,000 per year to the three committees besides Fin/App, with $250 each going to the Academic Affairs and Student Life Committees. The Community Building and Outreach Committee will receive $500 in order to account for the added expenses incurred due to town halls and tabling.

“I believe today’s bill will make it easier for the other committees in the senate to accomplish issues on their agendas. By giving them a budget, it means they don’t have to come to the [Fin/App] Committee for every small expenditure,” Fin/App Chair Greg Laverriere (COL ’12) said.

“Giving committees a budget will allow them to accomplish more throughout the year and streamline the way the senate does business,” Laverriere said.

The senate voted to add an amendment, which stated that if a committee exceeds the allocated sum, it may present an itemized list of expenditures to the Fin/App Committee for additional funding.

The bill passed with an overwhelming vote of 20-1.

GUSA also announced that its new website would be launched in two weeks. The new page will feature senator profiles, complete with pictures and short mission statements. The web address will remain the same as the current GUSA website, gustudentassociation.com.

“The new GUSA website will enable students to get involved with the organization through increased participation and communication, helping us become a more transparent and effective body,” said senate speaker Adam Mortillaro (COL ’12) in an email.

Additionally, GUSA Vice President Jason Kluger (MSB ’11) announced the possibility of introducing Zipcars to the Georgetown campus.

He said that GUSA and representatives from Zipcar were in the process of discussing ways in which it may be possible to bring the service to campus.

“Zipcars are an innovative campus service that will make our campus more accessible, connecting students with the surrounding area and downtown D.C.,” Mortillaro said.

According to Kluger, the Zipcars could be parked in the homes of students in Burleith, or at student apartments, many of which have driveways. Zipcar would pay Georgetown students for the use of the spots; the contracts would be formed on a monthly basis.