Japanese Ambassador Reflects on Crisis

United States Ambassador to Japan John Roos provided an on-the-ground perspective of Japan and its allies’ response to 2011’s earthquake and nuclear disaster Wednesday.

The event, sponsored by the Office of the President and the School of Foreign Service’s Asian studies program, highlighted the strength of the U.S.-Japanese alliance.

On March 11, 2011, a 9.0 magnitude earthquake caused a tsunami with 65-foot waves and four subsequent nuclear reactor explosions in Japan. Roos called the ensuing destruction the world’s first mega-disaster.

Beginning his lecture with a video that depicted the large-scale devastation caused by the disaster, Roos said that Japan’s recovery from the tragedy was impressive.

“Experts have told me that in almost any other nation the destruction would have been far greater if not for Japan’s structural engineering, technical expertise, and … resources,” he said.

Roos added that U.S. contributions were integral to relief efforts. After the earthquake struck, the United States dispatched the Disaster Assistance Response Team and nuclear experts from the Nuclear Regulatory Commission to the site.

“The speed and flexibility of our military and disaster relief experts was truly impressive, as was Japan’s Self-Defense Forces who led the entire effort,” Roos said.

Roos also discussed the role that technology played in the relief effort. Using outlets such as Youtube, Facebook and Twitter, embassy members made an effort to maintain the dissemination of information.

“I must admit that even having come from Silicon Valley, I underestimated the power of Twitter prior to the crisis, when it was an absolutely vital communications tool,” Roos said. “It gave us the ability to communicate quickly and respond to events on the ground in real time.”

Roos noted that Japan continues to combat the consequences of the disaster. Many coastal inhabitants reside in temporary housing, and concerns about radiation and economic damage linger.

“A major element of our support for Japan now is in convincing the world that Japan is a safe place to visit and to do business,” Roos said.

The ambassador concluded by emphasizing Japan’s importance to the U.S., citing its large role in national security, the world economy and global climate policy.

“The U.S. not only needs Japan, but a Japan that is stronger than before,” he said.