Laptop Snatched While Student Naps

A laptop was stolen in an unforced burglary in Darnall Hall Wednesday afternoon, according to a Public Safety Alert sent to the campus community Thursday evening.

The Darnall resident took a nap at 2:30 p.m., leaving the door unlocked. When he woke up at 4:20 p.m., his laptop had been stolen. There were no signs of forced entry and the victim was not injured.

This incident is the latest in a string of laptop thefts on campus this semester. In November, 17 laptops have been reported stolen to the Department of Public Safety this month. After a series of burglaries and laptop thefts in Village A in late October, DPS instituted new security measures such as improved lighting and increased patrols in the area.

Several laptops have been stolen in Lauinger Library, including two on Wednesday. DPS does not normally send out PSAs regarding laptop thefts, however. This incident warranted a PSA because it was a burglary, according to DPS Investigative Sgt. David Ruiz.

“This crime poses a significant threat to the immediate community and we want students to be aware of their surroundings,” Ruiz said.

It is unclear whether the thefts are linked, according to Ruiz. DPS is investigating the incident.