Master’s in Journalism Dean Resigns

Dean of the Masters in Professional Studies in Journalism Program Denise Li has submitted her two-weeks notice. She is leaving the School of Continuing Studies next week.

Following the announcement of a restructuring of the SCS’s journalism branch, Li informed Dean of the SCS Robert Manuel that her last day would be Sept. 16.

On Sept. 2, Manuel announced the creation of the Division of Strategic Communications, Public Relations and Journalism. This new division will encompass the MPS in Journalism program and the MPS in Public Relations and Corporate Communications program.

“The new division is an organizational structure put in place to explore the possible curricular, industry and student interest connections between the two programs,” Manuel said.

A search process for the next dean of the journalism program will begin in the coming weeks. Former Associate Dean of the Public Relations and Corporate Communications program Denise Keyes is slated to head up the new division as a senior associate dean and will be pivotal in choosing members for that search committee, according to Manuel.

Li had announced her intention to resign in June and planned to transition out during this fall semester.

“I said that I would stay until they named new leadership,” she said.

Li explained that she had completed all her responsibilities, such as finalizing the course roster and managing the start-of-term enrollment.

“Basically, I finished what I said I was going to do,” she said. “It’s a good time to pass the baton.”

Over her two-year tenure, Li added numerous course offerings, internship partnerships and at least 15 new faculty members to help expand the program’s offerings. Alumni have gone on to work at major media organizations such as CNN and NPR.

“I’m proud of the many accomplishments that we have achieved together in the last two years,” she wrote in an email.