Stewards Issue Statement on Appelbaum Membership

The following is an official statement issued Wednesday morning from the Second Stewards Society in response to the article “Secret Society Disclosure Brings Focus to Appelbaum Campaign.” It was submitted by Chief Steward Sam Schneider (COL ’13), who is co-director of the Student Advocacy Office and a former member of The Hoya’s Board of Directors.

Every year there is rumoring about my Society in relation to a GUSA election, and every year it all usually teeters out with little to-do. As the Chief Steward and undergraduate leader of the Society, however, I take serious issue with the characterization made of it in the recent Hoya article, where it is said that we are a secret, unaccountable, and untransparent organization. On the contrary, we communicate openly with the university administration when necessary and I am available to answer any questions at any time, as I have now communicated to both The Hoya and the Voice. My society is a private association and a fraternity like many others at Georgetown. While the Society applauds Jack Applebaum’s service to GUSA, the privilege belongs entirely to him. We are not interested in king-making. We encourage our brothers to be honest. Jack disclosed his membership, an aspect of his private life, at the very moment he was asked. His record of public service should be all that matters to any thoughtful person weighing the merits of his candidacy.