Tests Stolen From MSB Mailroom

Students were forced to retake exams after their tests were stolen from the McDonough School of Business mailroom last week.

Some time between Oct. 25 and 26, an unknown person took documents from the MSB mailroom. The theft primarily affected MSB adjunct lecturer James Dalkin’s accounting class, requiring the three students whose tests were stolen to retake the exam.

“I regret any inconvenience this has caused, but it relates to circumstances beyond my control,” Dalkinwrote in an email sent to affected students.

One of the students affected, Anthony Mastroianni (COL ’12), a cartoonist for The Hoya, said that the accounting exam was administered electronically, but Dalkin asked his students to print and submit a hard copy of their answers. Three students had experienced technical issues that precluded their electronic responses from being recorded and had submitted their own hard copies. With those hard copies stolen, no record of their test answers remained. The trio retook the test earlier this week during a regular lecture.

Dalkin was unsure about whether or not anything else was taken, but thought that a finance class may also have been affected.

“I know the dean’s office has looked into the matter and has developed some new procedures for mail security,” Dalkin said.

The mailroom is currently open to the public during regular business hours, a policy that is now being re-evaluated.

University officials and MSB Deputy Dean and professor Pietra Rivoli declined to comment on the ongoing investigation.

Hoya Staff Writer Matthew Strauss contributed to this report.