Top 10 Articles of 2015

In 2015, readers were drawn to a variety of articles, from Georgetown University Student Association elections to faculty features to opinion pieces urging the Georgetown community to do more to prevent sexual assault. Here were the top ten most read articles on The Hoya’s website from 2015.

10. 2015-16 Schedule Altered

JANUARY 23: Two days were added to winter break in the 2015-16 academic year.

KATHLEEN GUAN FOR THE HOYA Upon learning of their victory in the 2015 GUSA executive race, President-Elect Joe Luther (COL ’16) and Vice President-Elect Connor Rohan (COL ’16) shared a tender moment in celebration at the campaign party.
KATHLEEN GUAN FOR THE HOYA
Upon learning of their victory in the 2015 GUSA executive race, President-Elect Joe Luther (COL ’16) and Vice President-Elect Connor Rohan (COL ’16) shared a tender moment in celebration at the campaign party.

9. Luther, Rohan Win Historic Race

FEBURARY 20: Joe Luther (COL ’16) and Connor Rohan (COL ’16) won the GUSA executive election in an unprecedented fashion, having executed an unorthodox, satirical campaign.

8. Track Program Under 2 Investigations

JULY 18: A blog post published by several athletes raised severe allegations of sexual assault and sexual harassment in the men’s track and field locker room. In response, Georgetown University officials released a statement detailing an ongoing investigation.

7. $400K DeGioia Bonus Goes to GSP

JANUARY 13: President DeGioia donated his entire $400,000 one-time bonus from the Board of Directors in 2012 to the 1789 Scholarship Imperative.

6. 2 Students Reportedly Die in Dupont Circle Fire

JUNE 3: One Georgetown student, Nina Brekelmans (GRD ’15), died in a fire in a Dupont Circle house fire.

DANIEL SMITH/THE HOYA Matthew Kroenig is an Associate Professor and International Relations Field Chair in the department of government and School of Foreign Service. His distinguished academic career coupled by the success of his two siblings has made Kroenig’s story one of particular interest for students.
DANIEL SMITH/THE HOYA
Matthew Kroenig is an Associate Professor and International Relations Field Chair in the department of government and School of Foreign Service. His distinguished academic career coupled by the success of his two siblings has made Kroenig’s story one of particular interest for students.

5. The Jet Set Life of Professor Kroenig

MARCH 20: Professor Matthew Kroenig’s personal experiences, academic accomplishments and family’s star status are profiled.

4. VIEWPOINT: A Shared Obligation

JULY 29: Olivia Hinerfeld(SFS ’17) discusses the Georgetown community’s shared obligation to work toward a better environment to prevent sexual assault and help survivors.

3. Admissions Rate Remains Steady at 16.4 Percent

MARCH 31: The Office of Undergraduate Admissions accepted 3,202 applicants to the Class of 2019 for an overall acceptance rate of 16.4 percent, a rate that remains steady from the previous year.

2. EDITORIAL: No More Distractions

APRIL 21: The Editorial Board criticizes the Georgetown University College Republicans for hosting author and philosophy professor Christina Hoff Sommers due to her stances on sexual assault and contemporary feminism.

1. VIEWPOINT: I Stand With Willa, I Stand With Survivors

JULY 21: Zoe Dobkin (SFS ’16) writes about fellow student Willa Murphy’s experiences with Georgetown administrators after Murphy was sexually assaulted, and urges the Georgetown community to stand by survivors.