Cases Dropped Against Students Charged in Leavey Break-In

Cases against three students charged with breaking into offices in the fourth floor of the Leavey Center last August were dismissed Wednesday, according to court records.

Sam Buckley (COL ’14) and Eric Pilch (COL ’12) had been charged with two misdemeanors of destruction of property under $1,000 and unlawful entry.

John Flanagan (SFS ’14) was also charged with destruction of property under $1,000.

The three students had signed a deferred prosecution agreement at a preliminary hearing in September. The agreement gave them a four-month probationary period and set a second hearing to settle the case for Jan. 25.

The outcome of Wednesday’s hearing meant that the trio had successfully abided by the guidelines of the deferral agreement and all charges against them have now been dropped.

The three students were accused of damaging offices on the fourth floor of the Leavey Center while trying to evade Department of Public Safety officers Aug. 28. The prosecution alleged that the students entered the offices by crawling through a drop ceiling in the office of The Georgetown Voice. Buckley and Flanagan were Voice staffers at the time of the incident, though both were later dismissed from the publication.