Corp Facilitates Group Ties

The Corp celebrated its Shareholders’ Extravaganza yesterday with free T-shirts, a 10 percent discount coupon and a roundtable discussion with student groups.

According to CEO Brad Glasser (COL ’11), part of The Corp’s mission is to represent the student body in ways in which the university administration does not, which in the past has meant speaking up for student rights and providing aid to student-run organizations.

The Corp first made all students shareholders after a 1971 May Day protest resulted in police usage of tear gas on campus. According to Glasser, then-University President Robert Henle, S.J., approved the tear gas measure, which disrupted classes and affected thousands of students, many of whom were not involved in the protest. In response to the event, which most thought violated basic student rights, Corp leaders incorporated the entire student body and took it upon the company to provide a forum for student discussion.

Yesterday’s Extravaganza did much more than has been done in the past to explain the opportunities that students have as shareholders. A table in the Leavey Center offered free shirts and 10 percent discount coupons throughout the day, as well as a brief information card that explained the history behind the corporation. The Corp also hosted a roundtable discussion with about a dozen student organizations that addressed the ways in which groups can unite and communicate more effectively.

At the discussion, group leaders considered the hurdles organizations face, focusing primarily on the disunity of the student body and the inability to efficiently recruit and communicate with students. Many leaders expressed frustration with the university’s management of student groups and sought ways to better their relations.

“It’s the bureaucracy of Georgetown that makes clubs coming together so difficult,” said Justin Keenan Miller (COL ’11), who holds leadership positions in both Nomadic Theater and Strike Force.

Led by Corp leaders, organization leaders resolved to work toward a more unified student body.

“It’s the job of student leaders to reach out and to get people involved,” Diamond Graham (SFS ’11), who represented D.C. Reads and the Center for Social Justice, said.

Part of this resolution was to propose a second-semester student group fair at which students could be re-exposed to groups on campus. Leaders also discussed a unified communication system between groups that would enable organizations to unite on projects more easily.

“There is the ability to bring clubs together, but right now the methods for that are very difficult,” Keenan Miller said.

Though the meeting did not come to any direct decisions, Corp leaders were pleased with the dialogue and say they hope to see the discussions continue. They also hope to involve more student groups going forward.

“This was the beginning of many meetings,” Corp Service and Outreach Chair Margaux McGrath (COL ’12) said.”