Federal Official to Become University’s VP and General Counsel

Top government official Lisa Brown will become Georgetown’s new vice president and general counsel in March, according to a university press release.

“I’m incredibly excited about coming to Georgetown,” Brown said in the press release. “Educating and preparing students to contribute in a global world and to actively work to make society better for those less fortunate is very appealing and is at the heart of Georgetown’s mission.”

Currently, Brown is the acting chief performance officer at the Office of Management and Budget and was previously an assistant to the president as well as staff secretary for President Obama.

During President Bill Clinton’s (SFS ’68) administration, she worked for four years as a deputy counsel and counsel to Vice President Al Gore.

Brown was also a partner at the law firm Shea and Gardner and executive director of American Constitution Society for Law and Policy.

According to the release, Brown will be on an executive management team that will address the campus master plan, globalization and the role of technology.

“Lisa Brown is a longtime public servant whose experience in the private sector and at the highest levels of the federal government will be an exceptional asset to our university,” President John J. DeGioia said in the press release.