Group Promotes Diversity Dialogue

In less than a semester, Georgetown Leaders for Unity and Equity has evolved from an idea into an organization that meets weekly to encourage dialogue and design plans of action that address diversity issues.

Co-founder Stephanie Frenel (SFS ’12) felt compelled to start the organization, which meets every Thursday, in order to confront the frustration she has felt while dealing with diversity issues on campus.

The group is centered on conversations about race and related to race and its cultural associations. An integral part of these discussions is the developed of the plans of action, or an ideal plan to address specific issues within the community. The meetings are led by the six board members and have recently been opened to all interested students.

“One of the reasons we keep coming back is because we can talk about racial tensions in a place that isn’t strictly about unity,” Communications Coordinator Elisa Manrique (COL ’14) said.

While the group aims to foster conversation, GLUE’s leaders understand that race and related issues can be contentious topics.

“We’ve come to know this is an uncomfortable issue that hits everyone differently,” Co-chair Jescinta Izevbigie (SFS ’14) said.

However, according to Co-chair Carly Rosenfield (COL ’14), tackling tough issues is one of the group’s goals.

“There is value in having conversations in a comfortable place,” she said. “However, there is immense value in being uncomfortable.”

The group is working to expand its presence on campus by promotings its blog and targeting students who are interested in social justice. Rosenfield emphasized the importance of continuing to reach out to students.

“The idea that we’re in a post-racial society is becoming more prominent, but there is more progress to be made,” Rosenfield said.