Vice President of Advancement to Leave Georgetown

Vice President of the Office of Advancement Jim Langley is departing Georgetown University, Jeff Donahoe, director of development and campaign communication for the Office of Advancement, confirmed on Wednesday.

University President John J. DeGioia wrote in an e-mail to his colleagues, “I am personally very grateful to Jim for his service to the university. Please join me in thanking him for all he has accomplished at Georgetown and wishing him great success in his future endeavors.”

DeGioia outlined many of the contributions Langley has made to the university, which include expanding the Office of Advancement, spearheading Georgetown’s fundraising campaign, and developing a new alumni relations program.

“Perhaps most significantly, Jim has helped everyone who cares about Georgetown see more clearly what we are capable of achieving through more sophisticated and ambitious advancement strategies,” DeGioia wrote in the e-mail.

“He worked hard for Georgetown,” said Sean Redmond (SFS ’97, SCS ’00, MBA ’11), a member of the Alumni Association Board of Directors.

According to the e-mail, DeGioia has asked R. Bartley Moore (SFS ’87) and Paul O’Neill (CAS ’86, GRD ’96), who have worked in the private sector, to oversee the Office of Advancement until a replacement for Langley is found.

Langley will start his own company, Langley Innovations, once he leaves Georgetown, according to Redmond.

Langley wrote on his blog that he will continue to do work in the field of advancement.

“Rather than represent a single institution, I am creating a company, Langley Innovations, to represent the interests of advancement professionals everywhere, to help them realize opportunities through strategic insight and the creative engagement of their constituencies, and to preserve and enhance the highest purposes of philanthropy itself,” Langley wrote on his blog yesterday.

The university has not given any reason for Langley’s departure.

The Office of Advancement works to develop relationships with alumni and donors to raise funds for the university, according to its Web site.

R. Bartley Moore was unavailable for comment.

Paul O’Neill declined to comment.”