Zoning Hearing: Administrators Stand Firm on Campus Plan

The university presented its revised 2010 Campus Plan Thursday night to five D.C. Zoning Commissioners, as well as students and residents of the Georgetown, Burleith and Foxhall neighborhoods. The hearing represented the final stage of a two-year process.

University President John J. DeGioia, Vice President for Student Affairs Todd Olson, University Provost James O’Donnell and several other members of the university committee outlined the details of the plan to an audience of about 50 listeners at the Office of Zoning Hearing Room.

University representatives highlighted a voluntary enrollment cap of 15,000 undergraduate students, the addition of 250 beds and the relocation of 1,000 School of Continuing Studies students. The plan also features a loop road on campus for Georgetown University Transportation Shuttle buses, which serve two million people annually.

DeGioia opened and closed the university’s presentation of the plan.

“The Campus Plan was created with rigorous care with over two years of planning,” he said.

DeGioia noted that the plan was created with the concerns of Georgetown’s neighbors in mind, adding that the efforts made to construct the proposal demonstrate the administration’s commitment to working with its neighbors.

“The goal is to reaffirm Georgetown’s commitment to partnership,” DeGioia said in his testimony. “The 2011-2020 Campus Plan is a modest and responsible plan for the university’s future with substantial commitments that respond to community and city concerns.”

After the presentation of the new plan, the commissioners were allotted time to ask questions about different aspects of the plan.

Although all portions of the plan faced scrutiny, the zoning commissioners and ANC commissioners aimed most of their questions at the possible expansion of the Georgetown University Hospital.

The hospital has been run by MedStar Health, a nonprofit healthcare provider, for the past 11 years.

“We can’t assess a plan when we don’t know what’s going to be there,” Lewis said.

The possibility of hospital expansion is still under consideration by the MedStar board as well as the university. The exact place and dimensions of the building have yet to be released.

DeGioia also faced questioning about the expansion of student housing. Critics of the Campus Plan argued that Georgetown should make an effort to house 100 percent of students on campus.

DeGioia responded that while the university is able to meet full demand for on-campus housing, there is no room on campus to add additional beds.

Georgetown provides 5,053 beds on campus, housing about 79 percent of its undergraduate population.

“We don’t have as many financial resources as our peers,” DeGioia said to the Zoning Commission. “[But] we do believe we are coming very close to providing for the demand for on campus housing.”

Wearing a pin saying “Oppose the Campus Plan,” Burleith resident Glen Harrison — whose signs against the Campus Plan were burned on his doorstep in February — explained his reasons for criticizing the proposal.

“I oppose the Campus Plan, mostly because of the lack of on-campus housing,” he said. “There is also a lack of a conclusive community strategy to address off-campus student issues.”

Jake Sticka (COL ’13), an ANC commisioner, said that the university presented itself well at the hearing. Still, he thought that the approval process was likely to be prolonged given the extensive community opposition to the plan.

“I think that appeals are likely regarding the outcome,” he said. “I think that community members have raised a variety of different issues. I’m not confident that any of those individually will hold up the plan.”

Georgetown University Student Association President Mike Meaney (SFS ’12) and Vice President Greg Laverriere (COL ’12) were also present, expressing optimism about the future of the campus plan.

“Both sides throw around a lot of empty rhetoric to make their point, and it’s important that we get beyond that and talk about these issues seriously,” Laverriere said. “It’s important to remember that while neighborhood associations and the administration go back and forth, students are trapped in the middle.”

The D.C. Zoning Commission will allow continued examination from neighborhood committees at a meeting slated to take place May 12. If needed, the hearing will continue to May 16, June 2 or June 6.

In an interview with The Hoya, DeGioia said that this hearing would be the first step in the path toward cooperation with the university’s neighbors.

“We recognize how valuable it is for us to be in the neighborhood we are in,” DeGioia said. “We are all in this together, and we share in responsibility in responding to these concerns.”