Crew | Famed Regatta Tests Squads

The Georgetown rowing teams competed in their second regatta of the season this past Sunday at the 52nd Head of the Charles Regatta, one of the top international regattas that attracts teams from across the country and the world.

Located along the Charles River in Boston, Mass., the event saw the women’s team compete in the championship eight event against 32 other boats, while the men’s team competed in the championship eight and lightweight four events.

Both teams opened up fall competition at the Charlie Butt Schillers’ Head of the Potomac Regatta on Sept. 26. At the Head of the Potomac, the Hoyas competed against more local teams, including George Washington University. The women’s team had a strong showing at the Head of the Potomac Regatta, winning the four-plus and open eight races.

At the Head of the Charles Regatta in the championship eight event, the Georgetown women’s boat started from the 27th position, behind Bucknell and in front of the University of Virginia. Georgetown’s eight had plenty of experience; all the rowers were upperclassmen, with the exception of sophomore Lindsay Olita. Senior Sabrina Gosman coxed the boat.

Despite the boat’s experience, the Hoyas finished 29th, posting a 18:57.73. Against strong competition, Georgetown finished behind Clemson, which finished with 18:57.73, and ahead of University of Massachusetts, which finished with 19:08.705 because of a 0:35.000 penalty. Cambridge’s eight won the race, posting a 16:30.368.

Coming into the fall season, the men’s team had some coaching changes. The Head of the Charles Regatta was the second regatta with the new men’s lightweight crew coach, Lee Rumpf.

This was the first regatta in which the lightweight four competed because the Head of the Potomac regatta did not have a lightweight four event. Rumpf served as the assistant coach for the men’s crew team at George Washington University for three years.

In addition, Rumpf’s time at George Washington University was a great success, finishing with national rankings in the top 25 each year. In 2016, he finished 11th in the country at the IRA National Championships.

Prior to his time withGeorge Washington, Rumpf also served as a coach with a number of D.C.-area professional teams.

With Rumpf now leading the team, the men’s lightweight squad earned fourth place behind the New York Athletic Club, Yale and Columbia.

The men’s team also added Zach Vlahos to the coaching staff. Prior to coming to Georgetown, Vlahos was a coxswain for the U.S. National Team in the eight boat. Vlahos is now the assistant coach for the Georgetown men’s heavyweight team.

The men’s heavyweight boat placed 25th, posting a time of 16:17. At the Head of the Potomac Regatta, the men’s heavyweight boat that placed the highest came in sixth.

The Georgetown men’s and women’s teams will travel to Princeton, N.J., this weekend to compete in the Princeton Chase Regatta on Oct. 29.

Sports Information could not be reached for comment.