MEN’S BASKETBALL | GU to Offer Free Admission to Federal Employees

GEORGETOWN HOYAS

The federal government’s three-day shutdown from Saturday to Monday may have prevented federal workers from receiving pay, but not without any compensation: Georgetown Athletics is offering two free tickets to every federal employee who wishes to attend Wednesday’s men’s basketball game against DePaul University at Capital One Arena.

The promotion, led by Georgetown Assistant Athletics Director for Marketing Chris Grosse, will serve as an act of gratitude for all federal workers and families affected by the recent shutdown, even as it ended Monday evening.

“We had always planned on offering the deal to federal employees if the shutdown was resolved,” Grosse wrote in an email to The Hoya.

Wednesday’s giveaway comes on the heels of the season’s most notable  marketing promotion, an “Actual Reality Seating Section,” where Hoya fans turned in  their cellphones before entering Saturday’s contest against St. John’s.

“We are always trying to come up with creative/fun ideas for fans attending our games, which already have a buzz with [Head Coach] Patrick Ewing on the sidelines this year,” Grosse said. “It has received coverage by all local news stations, which is extremely helpful in spreading the word about the deal.”

Despite federal employees’ return to work, Grosse remained optimistic about the promotion’s success.

“We have always tried to turn trending topics and current events into promotions and ways to increase attendance,” Grosse said. “We will know about how it compares to other promotions when we see how many people come take advantage of the offer on Wednesday.”

Federal employees must show a valid federal ID at Window 5 of the Capital One Arena Box Office to receive their tickets.

The game will begin at 8:30 p.m., with the promotion starting at 7:30 p.m.