MEN’S LACROSSE | Hoyas Move to No. 12 in Rankings With Wins Over Fairfield, Mount St. Mary’s

The Georgetown men’s lacrosse team landed itself in sixth in the record books with 25 goals against Fairfield University on Saturday, Feb. 22, the most goals by the team since 1992. On the week, the Hoyas continued their undefeated streak, rising to a 4-0 record Tuesday with a 14-7 victory over Mount Saint Mary’s. 

On Saturday the Blue and Gray (4-0) opened the scoring after four minutes of play with back-to-back tallies just seven seconds apart. Sophomore midfielder Declan McDermott netted the first goal, receiving a sharp pass from freshman midfielder Graham Bundy Jr. before rushing toward net and powering the ball from the left side of the field. Sophomore defender Alex Mazzone followed up with a hard driven shot to the bottom right corner off an assist from sophomore faceoff specialist James Reilly. 

Fairfield (2-1) responded quickly, nabbing three tallies in just over three minutes to claim a 3-2 lead with 6:55 left in the first quarter. A three-goal run claimed another lead for the Hoyas at 5-3 before the Stags pulled within one with a goal in the last four seconds of the first period. 

Back and forth offensive play in the second quarter kept Fairfield within striking distance of Georgetown as the half closed out with a 10-7 lead for the Hoyas.

The third quarter saw Georgetown’s offense explode with 10 goals to pull away with a double-digit lead. The Blue and Gray recorded six consecutive tallies to open the second half, led by McDermott’s goal from over 10 yards out just over half a minute in. Passing sequences around the net and quick spin moves in the lane allowed the Georgetown offense to dominate while holding Fairfield to three scores in the period.

The Blue and Gray rounded out the dominant victory with five straight goals in the fourth, conceding two late tallies to the Stags to bring the final score to 25-12. 

Freshman faceoff specialist Carson Milburn stepped in for Reilly and proved to be a solid secondary faceoff man, winning 18 of 24 draws at the X and collecting 14 ground balls on the day. Thirteen different Hoyas scored a goal in the game, with 18 tallies coming off assists. 

Sophomore attacker Dylan Watson led the team on the day with seven goals while McDermott, fifth-year attacker Robert Clark and senior attacker Jake Carraway supported with hat tricks. 

Kirk Zieser/The Hoya | Sophomore attacker Dylan Watson cradles the ball as he works around two Fairfield defenders. Watson led the Blue and Gray with seven goals against Fairfield on Saturday before picking up a hat trick against Mount St. Mary’s on Tuesday.

The Hoyas found a bigger challenge against Mount Saint Mary’s (1-3) on Feb. 25 but proved to dominate nonetheless. 

Again opening with two straight goals to grab a 2-0 lead, the Georgetown defense conceded three straight tallies to the Mountaineers to end the first period down 3-2. The Blue and Gray offense struggled to maintain possession in the opening period, with eight of the Hoyas’ 18 total turnovers coming in the first quarter alone. 

The matchup remained highly contested through the first half, with Georgetown entering the locker room with a 7-5 advantage. The Hoyas fared far better in the second half, outscoring Mount Saint Mary’s 7-2 to secure their second win of the week.

Carraway led the team in points with six goals total to become the third player in program history to reach the 200 career point mark, joining Greg McCavera (COL ’99) and Daniel Bucaro (COL ’19). 

For the third straight game, the Hoyas found consistency in their faceoff man, with Reilly winning 15 of 22 faceoffs and freshman faceoff specialist Carson Milburn stepping in at the end to win both of his draws. 

Defensively, junior goalie Owen McElroy remained solid between the pipes, making nine stops on 16 shots for his fourth win.  

In their two games, the Hoyas proved strong on the extra man opportunity, capitalizing on four of five against Fairfield and two of two against Mount Saint Mary’s. Furthermore, Georgetown’s consistent success of faceoff X helped spark the team’s offensive success. Caraway himself noted in a post-game interview that the Hoyas’ offense works best when successful in faceoffs. 

“I thought our offense did a great job. I think it initiated with Milburn coming in at the X, giving us a ton more possession to just swing the ball around,” Carraway said in an interview with GU Hoyas. 

The twelfth-ranked Hoyas return to action Saturday, Feb. 29, against Bellarmine at Cooper Field at noon.