Volleyball | Hoyas Hope to End Four-Set Skid

FILE PHOTO: MICHELLE XU/THE HOYA Sophomore setter Caitlin Brauneis has 598 assists and eight service aces this season. She has played in and started 18 matches.
FILE PHOTO: MICHELLE XU/THE HOYA
Sophomore setter Caitlin Brauneis has 598 assists and eight service aces this season. She has played in and started 18 matches.

The Georgetown University volleyball team (9-18, 3-11 Big East) will conclude its road schedule this weekend with games at St. John’s University (18-11, 7-7 Big East) on Friday and at Providence University (5-23, 1-13 Big East) on Saturday. The Hoyas will look to snap a four-game losing streak, which has come against four of the top five teams in the Big East.

The Hoyas have been forced to adjust their rotation after losing multiple players to injuries. The team is still playing without sophomore setter Caitlin Brauneis, as well as senior libero Mackenzie Simpson and senior defensive specialist Kieley Culbertson, who have all been sidelined in recent weeks.

Freshman setter Casey Speer and junior defensive specialist and libero Emily Gisolfi in particular have stepped up and assumed larger roles, but the team has still endured an adjustment period. Senior middle blocker Dani White, who has recorded 1,065 kills and 412 blocks during her outstanding career, acknowledged that the team has had some difficulty with their ever-changing rotation, but expressed optimism that the team’s new lineup is improving its chemistry.

“We’re still figuring out the people on the floor. When you’re mixing up personnel every few days, the game-time reactions are going to be a little slower. Still, toward the end of those matches, things come together,” White said. “Maybe it will happen a little bit sooner in the next couple of matches, but I think we’re finally getting our footing, and we hope to see some progress in this upcoming weekend.”

Despite these difficulties, the Hoyas have managed to play a number of close sets against the best teams in the Big East. The team is steadfast in their belief that they have the talent to play with any team in the conference.

“The fact that we’ve been able to compete for the most part with those teams is really encouraging. We are in these matches even if they don’t tip our way, and that really propels us for the last few matches of the season,” White said.

St. John’s is led by two imposing outside hitters in junior Karin Palgutova and senior Aleksandra Wachowicz, who rank second and third, respectively, in kills per set in the Big East. Palgutova and Wachowicz registered 17 kills each in the Red Storm’s 3-1 victory over the Hoyas on Oct. 19, and Head Coach Arlisa Williams’s game plan will be focused on slowing down the duo.

“They run a fast ball to those outside hitters, and so we want to make sure that we have a good block setup in front of them, with our hands over fast and early, and then we want to play great defense behind the block,” Williams said.

Providence earned its first Big East victory last Friday, Nov. 7, defeating DePaul University (3-24, 1-14 Big East) in five sets. Despite the Friars’ recent win, the Hoyas are confident that they can have success against them.

Georgetown defeated Providence 3-0 on Oct. 17, led by 36 combined kills by senior outside hitter Alex Johnson and freshman outside hitter Terese Cannon. Still, Williams and her team are not taking anything for granted, as the Friars are a dogged, persistent team, especially on defense. They are led by sophomore libero Michelle Cruz, who ranks second in the Big East with 4.98 digs per set.

“We have to expect every ball to come back. They just beat DePaul last weekend, they are chomping at the bit for another win, and they’re going to be a scrappy team out there, so we have to expect balls to come back and be ready for chaotic plays,” Williams said.

The Hoyas’ senior class travels for the last time this weekend, as the team will close their season with two home games on Friday, Nov. 21 and Sunday, Nov. 23.

“It’s my last road trip, and we want to make sure that every play is meaningful and done with no regrets,” White said. “This is the final countdown: the last bus trip, the last time that these 13 women will be competing together, and so we want to make the most of that experience, because it’s unique and it’s not going to happen again.”