WOMEN’S BASKETBALL | Georgetown Struggles in 2nd Half in 85-64 Loss to Xavier

Sophomore guard Nikola Kovacikova and graduate student guard Brianna Jones’s combined 27 points against Xavier University could not keep the Hoyas within striking distance as the Georgetown women’s basketball team lost 85-64 to the Musketeers on Jan. 10 at McDonough Arena. 

In their fifth Big East matchup of the season, the Hoyas (4-12, 1-4 Big East) kept the game close with the Musketeers (2-13, 1-3 Big East) through the first two quarters but were ultimately unable to contain Xavier’s offense. 

Following tipoff, the teams exchanged baskets before the Musketeers grabbed the lead off three unanswered two-pointers with just over four minutes remaining in the first quarter. 

Jones scored five points over two consecutive possessions to close the gap, but the Hoyas were still unable to secure a substantial lead over the Musketeers. 

Senior forward Anita Kelava sunk five points to bring the Blue and Gray up to 16 points, which was soon countered by back-to-back three-pointers from Xavier. The Musketeers’ success from behind the arc gave them a six-point lead headed into the break as the first quarter finished with the Hoyas trailing 22-16.

Georgetown opened the second quarter with a 9-1 run to secure their first lead of the game at 25-23 with 6:43 remaining. The Blue and Gray sustained its lead until the three-minute mark when Xavier made a three-pointer followed by a layup to give the Musketeers a 30-27 lead which they would rapidly extend to 36-28.

FILE PHOTO: Kirk Zieser/The Hoya | Graduate student guard Brianna Jones charges down the court during a home game at McDonough Arena. Jones scored 13 of the Hoyas’ 64 points against Xavier on Jan. 10, which ties for her third-most points scored in a game this season.

To start the third quarter, the Blue and Gray hit a layup and a jumper to bring the score within four. However, Georgetown’s four-point deficit would be the closest the Hoyas would get to challenging the Musketeers’ lead for the remainder of the game. Following Georgetown’s four points, Xavier went on a 14-5 run in the subsequent five minutes to lead by 16 points through the end of the third quarter. 

Starting at a 57-41 disadvantage in the fourth quarter, the Hoyas managed to put up 23 points compared to Xavier’s 28 in the final frame. The win, however, remained out of reach for the Blue and Gray as the Musketeers maintained their double-digit advantage throughout the final quarter, leading by as many as 23 points in the final minute. Despite a final basket in the paint by freshman forward Graceann Bennett, Georgetown dropped the matchup to Xavier 85-64.

Kovacikova led the Hoyas with 14 points on the day and was supported by Jones, who recorded 13 points. Bennett recorded a team-high seven rebounds, followed by Kelava with six and Kovacikova with five. 

Behind 24 bench points, the Hoyas finished the game with 43.5% field goals, 26.7% three-pointers and 50% free throw accuracy. The Blue and Gray was able to take the lead once in the second quarter at the five-minute mark, with the largest lead margin of four points. 

Xavier bested Georgetown in transition, scoring 16 points off turnovers compared to Georgetown’s 12 points. After shooting only 43.8% from the field in the first half, the Musketeers sunk 60% of their field goals in the second half to finish the day with 50.9% shooting. Xavier found its most success behind the arc, going 13-for-20 for three-pointers on the day. 

The Hoyas dominated in second chance points, putting away 15 points to the Musketeers’ eight while Xavier outshot Georgetown 20-6 in fast break points. Despite the Blue and Gray’s efforts, its loss to the Musketeers marks the Hoyas’ third consecutive conference loss this season.