Women’s Basketball | Red Storm Defense Looms on Horizon

FILE PHOTO: CLAIRE SOISSON/THE HOYA Freshman guard Dorothy Adomako has started all 19 games this season. She is averaging 12.9 points, 7.3 rebounds and 26.7 minutes per game. Georgetown has lost three straight and 14 of its last 16 games, a skid stretching back to November.
FILE PHOTO: CLAIRE SOISSON/THE HOYA
Freshman guard Dorothy Adomako has started all 19 games this season. She is averaging 12.9 points, 7.3 rebounds and 26.7 minutes per game. Georgetown has lost three straight and 14 of its last 16 games, a skid stretching back to November.

After a tough three-game road trip that resulted in three losses to conference opponents Villanova (11-8, 5-2 Big East), Butler (10-9, 6-2 Big East) and Xavier (12-7, 4-4 Big East), the Georgetown women’s basketball team (4-15, 2-5 Big East) is ready to rebound this weekend against St. John’s (14-4, 5-2 Big East) and Seton Hall (17-2, 6-1 Big East).The team is ready to get back in the win column this weekend, and, for the team, there’s no better place to do it than on its home court.

“We’re actually very excited to move forward and get to our next game,” junior forward Brittany Horne said. “We’ve had a lot of energy in practice and lot of energy when it comes to approaching our next opponent, so we’re just ready.”

The young Georgetown squad had trouble hanging onto leads during its road trip; this troubling trend was highlighted by Butler’s 20-4 run to take back the lead for good in the first half of the Hoyas’ most recent game. Georgetown has a tendency to start fast and get complacent, but as its players develop and gain more experience, they may become better at handling leads.

“Consistency plays a big role for our team,” Horne said. “We’re focusing a lot more in practice on being consistent and bringing it every single day; it’s going to come through for us.”

Georgetown will have to be consistent against a St. John’s team that is currently in fourth place in the Big East. The Red Storm have not lost on the road this season, earning a 5-0 record away from their home court.

St. John’s offense is led by junior guards Aliyyah Handford and Danaejah Grant. Handford leads her team and the Big East with 20.3 points per game, while Grant scores the second-most points for the Red Storm with at 17.8 points per game. Following Handford and Grant is sophomore forward Jade Walker, who scores 8.9 points per game.

On the other end of the court, St. John’s has a very stingy defense, leading the Big East in scoring defense, field goal percentage defense and three-point field goal percentage defense. Moreover, the Red Storm boasts senior forward Amber Thompson, who leads the Big East in rebounding, averaging 11.8 boards per game.

Faced with St. John’s stellar defense, Georgetown and its three-point shooters will have to work hard to get open looks on offense. Horne says that Georgetown will need to come out strong against a squad that shuts down many shooting opportunities.

“We’re going to be aggressive [driving] to the basket,” Horne said. “We’re going to look less for settling for jump shots and try to get to the basket more and finish around the rim.”

With an added emphasis on getting to the rim on offense, freshman Dorothy Adomako, who was named Big East Rookie of the Week for the third week in a row, will be called upon to continue to be the scoring threat she has recently been for her team. Adomako is the team’s leading scorer at 12.9 points per game, and with her unique blend of size and athleticism, she provides a mismatch for Georgetown’s opponents which allows her to attack her defender and get to the rim easily.

Adomako is developing into one of the top players in the conference, but she believes she still has a lot of ground to cover.

“I’m very humbled by this award, very happy about it, but I need to continue growing as a player,” Adomako said.

Georgetown is looking to improve on a disappointing 4-15 overall record in the remaining 11 games on its schedule. With a Big East regular-season title now out of the question, the team primarily looks to build for next year. The rest of the season will be a good opportunity for younger players to gain more experience in conference games.

“[We] want to finish out the season strong,” Adomako said. “We’ve got St. John’s and Seton Hall this weekend and those are two top teams, so we really have to go out there and play hard and come out with the win at home.”