Farmer’s Market Coming to Fruition This April

Georgetown’s first on-campus farmer’s market will launch on April 27, offering fresh fruit, flowers and cooking displays in Healy circle for the organically inclined crowd. The pilot market, the project of the ReImagine Georgetown grant won by Bre Donald (NHS ’12) and Melissa Gadsden (NHS ’12),will gather about six local vendors from 2 p.m. to 6 p.m.

The displays will feature cooking demonstrations, sampling of organic produce and opportunities to interact with the local community.

Donald and Gadsden hope the event will be a success and will lead to the market’s becoming a more permanent fixture on campus.

“This is something that we really wanted to do,” Donald said. “It was difficult at first because there were a lot of administrators that we needed to talk to, but we received a lot of support.”

They first thought of a university farmers’ market while working on a project for their Health Promotion class. Under the guidance of Joan Riley, an assistant professor in the Departments of Human Science and Nursing in the School of Nursing and Health Studies, and Katy Anderson, who had started a similar project at Princeton, the students decided to work on bringing a farmer’s market to the Hilltop.

“Bre and Melissa are wonderfully energetic, creative and determined students. They implemented their class project to make the Farmers’ Market a reality, increasing GU students’ access to locally produced, healthy foods,” Riley said. “Their work improves the quality of life on our campus.”

In addition to improving access to fresh, locally grown foods and educating others about healthy eating, Donald and Gadsden hope that the market will strengthen the relationship between Georgetown and the surrounding community.

Georgetown’s farmers’ market plans to collaborate with the Glover Park — Burleith Farmers’ Market. Lauren Biel, the director of that market, is optimistic about working together.

“Our market has had difficulty in reaching out to Georgetown students and letting people know that it’s there. I’m really hoping that we can help inform each other’s markets,” she said. “It’s a perfect opportunity to build bridges.”

So far, Gadsden and Donald have received additional funding from the Georgetown University Student Association, along with the support of The Corp, EcoAction, the Georgetown Gastronomes — a student group dedicated to culinary appreciation — and other student groups.

In order to promote the market, the pair also collaborated with the university’s Off Campus Student Life, the Office of Sustainability, the Office of Communications, the Office of Risk Management, the Office of the Vice President, the Department of Public Safety and others outside of the university community, such as Nic Jammet, one of the founders of SweetGreen.