Campus Spotlight // Gastronomes

You might be wondering, what exactly are Gastronomes? Our name is derived from the word “gastronomy,” the study of food and cooking. So if you’re sick of Leo’s and want something refreshingly exotic to eat, stop by one of our meetings. We welcome everyone, from master chefs to those who would rather eat than cook.

Our mission is to use food as a medium to explore and share different cultures. Our board comprises a dedicated group of foodies who are the driving force behind all Gastronomes’s events. Our programs include field trips to exhibitions and restaurants. We recently went to the National Archives to see the “What’s Cooking, Uncle Sam?” exhibition and dropped by Teaism, a tea house nearby. Next week, we’ll be going out to Pho 75 for some delicious Vietnamese food. We also like to stay on campus and have food-related get-togethers. This fall, we had a pumpkin-themed potluck where we carved pumpkins while eating delicious food ranging from pumpkin empanadas to pumpkin truffles. For those members looking to brush up on their cooking skills, we have demonstrations, too, including how to make sushi and cheese, as well as a knife demonstration. For pictures of our events, check out our blog at georgetowngastronomes.blogspot.com.

Next semester, we’ll be having a variety of events, including a Tex-Mex Night, a chocolate potluck, an Ethiopian restaurant outing and more. It is easy for interested students to join the listserv or board. Email [email protected] asking to join the listserv and, if you wish, stating a preferred board position. We look forward to hearing from you!

Chen Sheng,

President of Georgetown Gastronomes