Six-Course Mediterranean Meal is Worth its Price

★★★★★

ALLIE HILLSBERRY Despite a high price tag, Iron Gate provides a delicious variety of Mediterranean-inspired cuisine that offers something for the palate of every guest. Pictured is the Berkshire-pork belly with dippy egg and potato fritter.
ALLIE HILLSBERRY/THE HOYA
Despite a high price tag, Iron Gate provides a delicious variety of Mediterranean-inspired cuisine that offers something for the palate of every guest. Pictured is the Berkshire-pork belly with dippy egg and potato fritter.

A historic setting, great service and impeccable food will always add up to a truly memorable dining experience — but that combination is not easy to find. Luckily, this trifecta is the hallmark of Iron Gate, an upscale restaurant located just a block away from Dupont Circle.

Until its recent brief closure in October 2010, Iron Gate was the oldest continually operating restaurant in Washington, D.C. The dining space, a converted stable and carriageway that once belonged to a Civil War cavalry officer, is a convenient choice for your next special occasion. The restaurant reopened in 2013, and the menu now focuses on cuisine inspired by Greece, Sicily, Sardinia and Southern Italy.

Executive Chef Anthony Chittum transforms fresh local ingredients into simple, classic bites as well as complex dishes to create an impressive and satisfying meal.

It would be hard to feel overdressed at Iron Gate. Upon arrival, my date and I were immediately led through the high-ceilinged bar and carriageway, past a patio shaded by a 100-year-old wisteria tree and into a room paneled with dark wood and glowing with candlelight. It is easy to see why Iron Gate was deemed by Zagat as “the most romantic restaurant in D.C.,” and it’s definitely the place to go to celebrate milestones or to impress your significant other.

When making reservations for dinner, patrons can choose to enjoy prix fixe tasting menus in the dining room or to order a la carte items on the patio, which is open year-round. We opted for the tasting menu, and our server was very helpful in explaining the differences between the four-course tasting ($60), six-course tasting ($80) and chef’s tasting ($110). Ultimately, we strategized that if my date ordered the six-course meal and I ordered the four- course meal, we would be able to jointly taste almost everything on the menu.

The first thing served was a simple olive plate, which was anything but ordinary. I do not love olives, but it was one of the most delicious things I have tasted recently, setting the tone for the entire meal.
Next came the seasonal sharing plates, six or seven small dishes that include a potato focaccia, curried cauliflower and foie gras. All of the plates were distinct and delicious, but the freshness of the locally sourced ingredients was the underlying commonality.

The kuri-squash tortellini and yellowfin-tuna crudo came next, and although the fish was obviously high quality, the tortellini was the table favorite. The sweetness of the squash was complemented by crunchy almond-cookie crumbs, and the two textures really set the dish apart. The cauliflower soup was good, but not a standout, though the small amount of Maine lobster floating in the center of the bowl was highly appreciated. The cheese plate was also delectable, as was the chocolate panna-cotta dessert, but both paled in comparison to the focal point of the meal: the two meat dishes.

The veal sweetbreads dish was served two ways, both with a perfect melt-in-your-mouth texture and excellent garnishes. The grilled Berkshire-pork belly melded with the charred onion, potato fritter and dippy egg to become easily the best plate of food I have enjoyed in the past year.

We did not order any drinks, but the cocktail menu  should certainly not be overlooked. Jeff Faile, the beverage director at Iron Gate, was named Eater’s Bartender of the Year in 2011 and has lived up to his reputation by crafting innovative and tasty cocktails that reportedly rival the incredible food. The Nikolaki ($12), a blend of vodka, honey, Greek yogurt, lemon and rosemary, was highly recommended. If wine is more your style, in-house Wine Director Brent Kroll provides an extensive list of vintages to suit every palate. If you opt for the tasting menu in the dining room, you can pay extra to enjoy a beverage pairing with each course.

The staff at Iron Gate were all friendly and extremely good at their jobs. Servers kept water glasses full and timed the progression of the meal perfectly, explaining what was sitting in front of us at the start of each course. In addition to the 10 courses that we actually ordered, the olive plate, a pre-dessert orange blossom beignet and a post-desert amaretti cookie arrived compliments of the house. Needless to say, I would jump at the chance to return to Iron Gate and I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a fancy night out on the town or a grad night dinner spot.