Fawzia Koofi Roundtable Discusses Women’s Rights in Afghanistan

The first female deputy speaker of parliament in Afghanistan discussed women’s rights in Afghanistan at a roundtable discussion hosted by the Georgetown Institute for Women, Peace and Security (GIWPS). 

Fawzia Koofi held a conversation Oct. 11 with Georgetown University students about the security and human rights crisis in Afghanistan, as well as the threat to women’s rights. Koofi shared her experience of being one of only four women involved in the Doha peace negotiations between the Afghan government and the Taliban in 2020. The roundtable was held in celebration of International Day of the Girl Child, an United Nations-declared international observance day held annually Oct. 11. The day brings attention to girls experiencing underprivileged circumstances and the girls’ right to equality, especially educational equality.

Koofi said the risk the Taliban poses to women’s rights in Afghanistan is not just a national problem, but a matter of global security.

@Fawziakoofi77/Twitter | Fawzia Koofi, the first female Deputy Speaker of Parliament in Afghanistan, spoke with Georgetown students in a round table discussion on the threat to women’s rights hosted by the Georgetown Institute for Women, Peace, and Security. The conversation focused on the security, humanitarian, and human rights crisis in Afghanistan.

“If Afghan women are continued to be pushed in the corner as they are now, abandoned and not a priority for the International community, we are going to face the major consequences,” Koofi wrote to The Hoya. “As a result of this we must see this as a matter of national security. That is why we must ensure to give the required space and recognize women agency.”

Koofi represented Afghanistan at the 2020 peace talks in Doha; she was one of just four women present at the negotiations. Since the Taliban took control of Afghanistan in August 2021, they have stripped Afghan women of their rights, freedom and roles in public life. No women hold cabinet positions under the regime, and the group also abolished the Ministry of Women’s Affairs. Women can no longer attend school past the sixth grade, nor can they work outside the home. They face severe — and often violent — consequences if they are found violating these rules. 

Lucile Malone (GRD ’24), a masters student who is studying global affairs in the Middle East and North Africa, said it is essential for students like her to continue to educate themselves about the treatment of women in Afghanistan.

“As a Muslim woman, the Afghan Women’s cause is one dear to my heart,” Malone wrote to The Hoya. “As a woman with access to education and work, it is important that I use my privileges to uplift women around the world.”

Malone said Koofi’s words served as an important reminder of the impact of determination in seeking equal rights for girls and women in Afghanistan.

“Ms. Koofi was a clear example of determination,” Malone wrote. “She recognized the challenges but urged us to not lose hope. I walked away feeling a stronger sense of responsibility to act but also more hopeful.”

Koofi, who fled Afghanistan following the Taliban takeover last year, said Afghan women have been fighting for their rights for over 20 years, and will continue to do so by failing to cower to demands from the Taliban.

Melanne Verveer, the executive director of GIWPS, formerly served as the U.S. ambassador-at-large for global women’s issues. Verveer said that the voices of Afghan women are critical to fighting for a better future in Afghanistan.

“Afghan women in their country and in exile are critical to the future of Afghanistan, and Fawzia has been a leader in keeping the issue of women’s rights in Afghanistan front and center,” Verveer wrote to The Hoya.

Malone said that roundtable discussions, such as the one GIWPS held with Koofi, provide Georgetown students with experience, which bolsters their knowledge about global issues and helps them understand which policies will contribute to meaningful action.

“As future policymakers, engagement and education on the issue from the Afghan perspective is key,” Malone wrote. “Conversations with Afghan leaders like Ms. Koofi will allow us to push forth well-rounded policies that are empathetic and reasonable.”

Malone says Koofi’s call to action on International Day of the Girl Child empowered her to continue her advocacy for women’s rights in Afghanistan.

“It was one that resonated with all of us,” Malone wrote. “We must keep the Afghan women in our thoughts and actively work to improve their lives.”