Fijian Treks to D.C. for Outdoor Ed.

THE HOYA sat down to talk to Gus Bainimoli, the newest member of Outdoor Education. Born and raised in Fiji, he worked as an outdoor guide, leading visitors around the islands’ natural wonders. As the assistant director of Outdoor Education at Georgetown, Bainimoli oversees the planning of trips and leads a few of his own. In the waning days of his first semester on campus, Bainimoli made time to tell THE HOYA about his life back in Fiji and his experiences at Georgetown so far.

*What was your life like in Fiji?*

I used to work in hotels, guiding. As a qualified dive master, I used to work as a dive guide. I used to take guests surfing and all those outdoor activities. I would teach windsurfing and surfing. And I have my own place now. I have my own garden and stuff: When I’m off work, I work on the garden. I do spear fishing and a lot of outdoor activities.

*What was your first contact with Georgetown? What brought you here?*

The Outdoor Education Director Russ Watts usually brings groups to Fiji. He brings all these student groups to Fiji. So I met with him in Fiji, and he organized all this for me. When they came to Fiji, I took them backpacking, camping, hiking … and snorkeling. Those who wanted to go scuba diving, I took scuba diving. I took them to my village.

[Georgetown students] came to Fiji twice, in 2007 and 2008, with Russ Watts and the outdoor program. They came over in 2007; that’s when I met Russ. Then we organized this [job] for me. He wanted me to come over [to Georgetown] and know more about the outdoor stuff, computer skills, business and help with the outdoor program here.

*What is your role in the Outdoor Education program?*

The students, they run trips. They manage outdoor stuff like rock climbing. I am just the assistant Outdoor director, and we just kind of look after what they are doing.

*Will you have the opportunity to lead any trips?*

This is my second month here, so I will organize trips also. Because I am a qualified scuba diving master, I am thinking about organizing a trip to Florida.

*Are there any trips happening soon?*

At the moment we are not running any trips because winter is coming … and Christmas. We will start doing trips again in January.

*Where do the trips go?*

We will organize trips to Nicaragua, and we will try to organize trips to Fiji. Maybe scuba diving trips to Florida and maybe a sailing trip to the Virgin Islands.

*Have you made any changes to the program since you arrived?*

I just came into the system as it was, and we are trying to sort out some stuff just to change it a little bit. Not now but I think in January we are going to be coming out with some other plans for changing stuff for the outdoor program. Maybe some other new trips will be coming up.

*Do you have any advice for students who might want to get involved but do not have any experience?*

I think [the trips] are for everyone, all the students at Georgetown. I think the outdoor program is really cool for everyone. You don’t need any experience; you just come in and you get all sorts of stuff you should know about backpacking and kayaking and just enjoy the outdoor experience. We have all the gear.

*What are your plans going forward?*

I will still go back to Fiji. My visa is just until the end of June. I am trying to organize a trip with Georgetown; I will go back with them. They want to go on a trip to Fiji. If I get the opportunity to come back and work [here] – sure, I would want to come back.

-Interview Conducted by Margaret Ferrato