Former Colombian President Joins SFS

Former Colombian President Alvaro Uribe Vélez was appointed to the faculty of the School of Foreign Service in August, according to a university press release.

Uribe was named a Distinguished Scholar in the Practice of Global Leadership and will lead programs for SFS students and faculty addressing issues in the international community, the press release said.

“President Uribe will bring a truly unique perspective to discussions of global affairs at Georgetown,” said Carol Lancaster, dean of the School of Foreign Service. “We are thrilled that he has identified Georgetown as a place where he will share his knowledge and interface with Washington.”

Uribe stepped down as president of Colombia this month, leaving office with a 75 percent approval rating. His administration was noted for increasing investment and defeating leftist guerillas in Colombia.

Guerillas targeted Uribe with a rocket and mortar attack on his inauguration day in 2002. Uribe was succeeded as president by Juan Manuel Santos on Aug. 7.

“It is a great honor to participate in this prestigious Georgetown University program, sharing my experience with younger generations,” Uribe said in the press release.

University spokesman Rob Mathis declined to comment.