Former GU Hospital Employee Sentenced for Theft

WEB LESLIE/THE HOYA Frankie Kennedy, a former Georgetown Hospital employee, was sentenced to jail after stealing from a related nonprofit organization
WEB LESLIE/THE HOYA
Frankie Kennedy, a former Georgetown Hospital employee, was sentenced to jail after stealing from a related nonprofit organization

A former Georgetown University Hospital employee was sentenced to five months in jail on Thursday after pleading guilty to stealing $86,286 from a hospital-based nonprofit organization, according to a U.S. Department of Justice press release.

In December 2005, Frankie Renee Kennedy began writing checks to herself from the bank account of Georgetown’s Transplant Institute Foundation, a nonprofit that helps transplant patients in need of financial assistance pay for medication, housing and other necessities after surgery. By December 2009, she had written and deposited 69 checks into her personal bank account, using a doctor’s signature stamp without permission.

Georgetown University Hospital declined to comment on how the crime was discovered.

Kennedy pled guilty and agreed to pay full restitution on Nov. 8. Sentenced on Thursday, she will serve a jail term of five months and then be placed on three years of supervised release, according to the press release.

A resident of Largo, Md., Kennedy, worked at the hospital from 1998 until 2010. Kennedy’s attorney, Michelle Peterson, could not be reached for comment.