Making Waves: Student Sea Scout to Visit Capitol

COURTESY EVA HOGAN Eva Hogan (COL '14) has been a Sea Scout since high school.
COURTESY EVA HOGAN
Eva Hogan (COL ’14) has been a Sea Scout since high school.

Georgetown student Eva Hogan (COL ’14) has found her sea legs in the Sea Scout program as its national boatswain, a position akin to the organization’s president.

Hogan will represent the program at the Boy Scouts of America’s annual Report to the Nation this week.

The Sea Scouts, an offshoot of Boy Scouts of America, attracts both males and females interested in sailing and nautical activities.

This week, Hogan will serve as one of eight Boy Scout representatives to address House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio), Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.), Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) and House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.).

According to Hogan, the representatives will outline the accomplishments and advances of the Boy Scouts programs throughout the past year as well as their future initiatives.

“It’s kind of like the State of the Union address for the Boy Scouts,” Hogan said.

In addition to presenting the report, Hogan and her fellow representatives will meet President Barack Obama and visit the Pentagon, the CIA and the Supreme Court.

Hogan holds the highest Sea Scout rank, quartermaster, an echelon equivalent to BSA’s Eagle Scout. She became the National Sea Scout Boatswain last April.

“Within that job, I represent Sea Scouts at all national events,” Hogan said.

Hogan admitted to being nervous yet excited for the upcoming events.

“If I weren’t, I’d be really worried,” she said, although she also noted her excitement about the week’s opportunities.

“This is just one of those things that I am going to tell my grandkids about, and it’s one of those things where I can tell people that they should really get involved with the program, because it’s fantastic and then some day they might be able to do this.”

Besides participating in the Boy Scouts’ Report to the Nation, Hogan updates the Sea Scouting blog with information about the program’s centennial activities and celebrations.

Hogan first became involved in Sea Scouts during her freshman year of high school. She credits her experiences in the program for the time management, communication, leadership and teaching skills she has acquired.

Throughout her tenure as a Sea Scout, Hogan has especially enjoyed the exposure to interesting people and novel opportunities, citing as her favorite experience the week she lived and trained on the Coast Guard Academy’s Tall Ship.

“It’s kind of like living on a pirate ship for a week, so that was a lot of fun,” she said.

Even though Sea Scouting has an age cap at 21, Hogan hopes to continue her involvement as long as she can.

“I’m not sure how, but I plan on staying involved,” she said.