McDonough School of Business Ranked Second

The Georgetown University McDonough School of Business (MSB) jumped up three spots from last year among undergraduate business school rankings on Poets&Quants, an online publication covering business education.

The MSB ranked second, only behind the University of Pennsylvania’s Wharton School, and came in first in alumni experience, fourth in admissions rank and second in career outcomes. The school’s climb in ranking is likely due to robust opportunities for networking and career development. 

Exceptional professors and administrators coupled with an array of career programming provide a sound foundation for student success in the MSB, according to Talia Schatz, assistant dean of the McDonough Undergraduate Career Development Center.

“We’ve made it a priority to be a people-first program where opportunities are tailored to each student and their individual career aspirations,” Schatz wrote in an email to The Hoya. “Every student is encouraged to create an academic experience that is unique to their own interests, and they have an entire school of faculty, staff, and alumni available to support them along the way,” 

Kirk Zieser/The Hoya | The Georgetown University McDonough School of Business (MSB) was ranked second in undergraduate business schools in rankings released by Poets&Quants, an online publication covering business education.

The McDonough Undergraduate Career Development Center presents students with a variety of networking opportunities. Students can shadow an alumni through the Host a Hoya program, workshop their career path and conference with undergraduate peer career advisors from a range of industries about resumes and interview advice.  

The MSB supports students in school, the workplace and life, which makes them more successful in general, according to Patricia Grant, senior associate dean of the MSB. 

“Overall, everything we do is underpinned by our commitment to students as people, so we support our community in a holistic way — not just in relation to their academic journey,” Grant wrote in an email to The Hoya. “So, the alumni experience rank is a reflection of the academic and experiential learning our students engage in, the advising and support they receive, and their ability to feel prepared for the world beyond the Hilltop.” 

The MSB career center and alumni network allowed her to successfully find internships and career opportunities, according to Sneha Santosh (MSB ’24).  

“The MSB has had great major programs supported by fantastic professors and faculty for a substantial amount of time,” Santosh wrote in an email to The Hoya. “I think now this is translating to the workplace, where alums are finding that the soft skills and technical knowledge they’ve gained in the MSB is directly applicable to their careers after graduation.”

Students in the MSB have access to an arsenal of industry knowledge from professor research to graduate guidance, according to Erin Connery (MSB ’24), who obtained internship opportunities at a healthcare logistics startup and a venture capital firm. 

“I’m always so impressed by my professors’ research and work in their respective fields, and I really enjoy connecting with Georgetown graduates,” Connery wrote in an email to The Hoya. “We have Georgetown graduates in basically every industry within business, and I love hearing about their career paths and experiences on the hilltop.” 

Education is always evolving and Grant anticipates that the MSB will continue to support students to succeed in a changing world. 

“We are constantly updating our curriculum and experiential opportunities, seeking new ways to engage with our alumni, and adding advising and career support,” Grant wrote. “We know that entry into Georgetown means that you will be part of our community for life, and we are here to support you every step of the way.”