Students Recount MTV Experience

MTV filmed students asking questions of President Barack Obama live in Healy Circle Friday afternoon.

MTV News correspondent Andrew Jenks interviewed nearly 40 students, who were selected by the MTV production crew through an application process Wednesday. The student questions were filmed concurrent with a televised live interview with President Barack Obama.

Jenks invited students to ask questions during the online show, which were then relayed to MTV News Correspondent Sway Calloway so he could incorporate them into his interview with the president that was aired on TV.

Students’ questions focused on the economy, renewable energy, women’s issues and gay rights.

“I think it’s really great that we can have a president go on MTV and talk about marriage equality, but the Defense of Marriage Act is still on the books, and we shouldn’t just leave this to states,” TuckerCholvin (SFS ’15), a student participant said after the event. “This is a civil rights issue.”

Energy was also a hot button discussion topic during the event.

“We’re not moving as fast as we need to be,” President Obama said during the interview. “That said, we doubled fuel efficiency on cars and trucks and doubled clean energy production.”

Scott Ruona (MSB’ 15), another student participant, was impressed by Obama’s answer.

“In my opinion, the president was most clear in his response to new energy resources. He was specific and outlined a plan he could be accountable for,” he said.

MTV spokesperson Janice Gatti said the network was immediately drawn to Georgetown when trying to choose a location for the filming.

“The university [plays host to] a diverse range of incredibly talented, bright students, and the campus itself offers a great backdrop for the special,” she said.

The university’s Director of Media Relations Rachel Pugh said that Georgetown was approached earlier this week to play host to the event. MTV explored the other universities in the District as well.

“It represents a unique experience for our students to continue to engage in our political process as they make decisions about whom to support in the presidential election,” Pugh said.

Jenks echoed Pugh’s sentiments.

“I was impressed at how articulate everyone was,” Jenks said. “They knew the issues and were very specific in what they wanted to hear from the president.”

Branden Oliver (SFS ’15), another student who was interviewed by Jenks, said that the event was interesting but not particularly informative.

“Obviously it’s a great thing for a president to take time out to answer the questions of a bunch of college students, but it definitely wasn’t hard-hitting enough to bring me to any conclusion,” he said.