BASEBALL | Hoyas Split Series Against Tigers

After a slow start to the season, the Georgetown baseball team picked up a pair of victories last weekend in a series split against Princeton at its home ballpark, Shirley Povich Field in Bethesda, Md.

In game one of the series Friday, March 16, the Hoyas (5-14) fell to the Tigers (2-10) with a score of 5-3.

Sophomore right-hander Nick Morreale started on the mound for the Blue and Gray and pitched four innings, allowing four runs on two hits and six walks. Senior right-hander Matt Randolph came out of the bullpen and gave the Hoyas five effective innings of play, allowing just one run and striking out seven.

In spite of freshman shortstop Eddie McCabe’s offensive performance — he notched three hits — the Hoyas lost the first game to the Tigers. Sophomore first baseman Freddy Achecar III also contributed, hitting two doubles and driving in a run.

The Hoyas fought back from an early 4-1 deficit, scoring runs in the bottom of the seventh and eighth innings to make it 4-3. However, Princeton added an insurance run in the top of the ninth which Georgetown failed to answer.

Game two of the four-game stand was part of a double header played on Saturday. The Hoyas won the game 3-1.

Sophomore left-hander Brent Killam was the Hoyas’ starting pitcher. He fired a complete game, allowing just one run on three hits in a dominant outing.

GUHOYAS
Sophomore left-hander Brent Killam pitched a complete game in the second game of Georgetown’s four-game series against Princeton. Killam allowed just one run on three hits, two walks and six strikeouts.

The Blue and Gray jumped out to an early 2-0 lead, scoring runs in the bottom of the first and second innings. McCabe drove in the first run with a sacrifice fly, and freshman catcher Ryan P. Davis drove in the second run with an RBI single. Davis was the Hoyas offensive catalyst, going 3-3 with an RBI.

Princeton answered with a run in the top of the fifth inning, but could not complete the comeback and eventually fell to Georgetown.

In the second match of the doubleheader, the Hoyas fell to the Tigers 10-4 despite a three-hit performance from senior outfielder Austin Shirley.

Junior right-hander Jack Cushing started on the mound and pitched four innings and the first out of the fifth, allowing seven runs on eight hits. Freshman left-hander Jacob Grzebinski relieved Cushing and pitched the remainder or the game, allowing three runs.

Princeton was strong out of the gate, scoring three runs in the top of the first. The Tigers also notched a run in the third and three in the fifth to make the score 7-0. Georgetown tried to cut the deficit with runs in the bottom of the fifth and sixth innings, but ultimately fell short.

Ryan P. Davis had another strong offensive game, with two base hits. Sophomore outfielder Ryan M. Davis also contributed at bat with an RBI double in the bottom of the seventh.

The final game of the series took place Sunday: Georgetown came out with a 5-3 win behind another solid offensive performance from Ryan M. Davis.

Ryan M. Davis notched three hits and an RBI in the contest, leading the Hoyas’ offense. Senior catcher Sammy Stevens also made a strong addition to Georgetown’s squad this week, hitting a double in the bottom of the fourth and coming around to score on a wild pitch. The Blue and Gray scored three runs in the fourth and did not look back, holding on for the win.

Freshman right-hander Owen Lamon started on the mound for Georgetown, playing six strong innings while allowing just one run. Senior right-hander Jimmy Swad came on in relief and shut the door on the Tigers’ offense, pitching three innings and allowing just one earned run.

The Georgetown baseball team is back in action this weekend, with a three-game series against Ohio State (14-6) in Columbus, Ohio.