BASEBALL | Pitching Thumped in Sweep

The Georgetown baseball team (12-20, 0-6 Big East) travelled to Omaha, Neb., to take on the Creighton Bluejays (18-11-1, 3-0 Big East) on Friday and Saturday. The Hoyas struggled in the series, dropping all three games.

In the opening game, runs were at a premium but ultimately the Bluejays walked away with the 2-0 win. The Georgetown offense was stifled by the Creighton pitching staff and only mustered two hits throughout the entire game. Creighton sophomore pitcher Matt Warren dominated, pitching a complete game. With the win, Warren maintained his undefeated record and moved to 7-0 for the season.

“[Warren] was pitcher of the year preseason, and I see every reason behind that,” Head Coach Pete Wilk said.

Although the Georgetown pitching staff only allowed two runs in the first game, it was outdueled by its counterpart. Sophomore pitcher Matt Smith got the start for the Hoyas. His only mistake came in the fifth inning when he gave up a two-run home run to Creighton junior second baseman Jake Peter. Despite pitching seven innings and only allowing two runs, Smith earned the loss and fell to 3-5 on the season.

“[Smith] pitched great, we just ran into a kid who is pretty special for Creighton. It was a great game,” Wilk said.

Georgetown, though, had a chance in the top of the eighth to tie the game. However, after two walks put runners on first and second, sophomore catcher Nick Collins grounded out to end the inning.

In Saturday’s doubleheader, Georgetown’s woes continued. Although the Hoyas managed to score runs, the pitching staff struggled and they dropped the games 13-4 and 15-6.

In the first game of the doubleheader, the Hoyas collected 10 hits but were unable to capitalize with runners in scoring position and managed only four runs.

Meanwhile, Georgetown’s pitching staff struggled with command, giving up 11 walks in eight innings of work. Junior pitcher Matt Hollenbeck, who got the start for the Hoyas, gave up seven earned runs in five innings.

The second game was a battle of the bullpens, as both starting pitchers did not make it out of the third inning. Georgetown’s starter, junior Will Brown, pitched 2 2/3 innings, giving up six runs on seven hits. The relievers did not fare much better, however, allowing 10 runs in 5 1/3 innings.

Creighton freshman pitcher Jeff Albrecht was pulled after 2 1/3 innings in which he allowed three runs. But the bullpen bailed him out. In 6 2/3 innings of work, the Bluejays’ bullpen shut the door on the Hoyas, allowing just two runs on six hits.

Despite the lackluster outcomes, there were some bright spots for the Hoyas. After struggling defensively all season, Georgetown committed just one error over the three-game span.

“We stopped beating ourselves, which I told the kids if we had played this way last weekend versus Xavier we would have won two games,” Wilk said.

What doomed the Hoyas in this series was their lack of consistent pitching and inconsistent hitting. Collins, senior first baseman Steve Anderson and junior infielder Ryan Busch continued to hit well for the Hoyas, but aside from these three, the team has struggled with consistency.

Too often the Blue and Gray have relied on the middle of their order to carry their offense, and this weekend proved the rest of the lineup needs to step up for Georgetown to have a chance.

Wilk has expressed frustration with the inconsistency of his team throughout the season thus far.

“We have got to figure out a way to put all three aspects of the game together,” Wilk said. “When we hit, we don’t pitch. When we pitch, we don’t field. When we field, we don’t hit. It has been one or the other.”

The three losses dropped the Hoyas to 0-6 in conference play and 12-20 overall. Moving on, Georgetown will look to get back on track versus George Mason on Tuesday. The Hoyas have lost seven straight games.

Despite the progress Wilk noted that the team’s focus would not change.

“We continue to harp on the defense. Had we played defense against Xavier we would have two totally different outings and results,” Wilk said. “We are not doing anything different teaching wise, we are just now performing better. I hope that keeps up.”