Baseball | Victory Over Navy Extends Streak to 4

FILE PHOTO: MICHELLE XU/THE HOYA Senior shortstop Ryan Busch had three hits, which tied the game-high, one RBI and one run in Georgetown’s 8-1 victory over Navy.

Coming off of a successful trip to Florida when the Hoyas went 5-2, Georgetown’s baseball team (7-8) returned to the Northeast with confidence. Georgetown blew out Navy (14-6) Wednesday in Annapolis with a final score of 8-1 and is now riding a four-game winning streak, with victories in six of their last seven games.

“Now we’re getting our consistent reps and we’re getting into a rhythm,” Head Coach Pete Wilk said. “We’re starting to play like I thought we could play.”

Sophomore pitcher Simon Mathews got the starting nod for the first time this season after previously making five appearances out of the bullpen with a 4.91 ERA and 15 strikeouts. Mathews earned the win by pitching three strong innings, giving up only two hits and one earned run while recording two strikeouts.

“[Mathews] was locating [his fastball] all day today and he got ahead of all the hitters,” senior shortstop Ryan Busch said.

After a strong defensive start by the Hoyas, the offense quickly caught on. In the second inning, senior first baseman AC Carter led off with a single after a walk by sophomore left fielder Joseph Bialkowski and a throwing error charged to Navy that put junior right fielder Curtiss Pomeroy on base.

Carter came around to score the first run of the game. Busch and freshman second baseman Chase Bushor each singled in a run togive the Hoyas an early three-run lead.

“Getting those runs early was a big moment in the game for us,” Busch said. “It helped us start pitching better and playing the field more confidently.”

After retiring the first seven hitters he faced, Mathews gave up a single to Navy’s freshman left fielder Stephen Born, who eventually came around to score his team’s first and only run in the third inning.

In the fourth inning, Georgetown got that run back. Busch led off with a bunt single and was followed by a well-executed hit and run by junior catcher Eric Webber to put runners on the corners. Bushor then hit a sacrifice fly to center to score Busch and pick up his second RBI of the day.

“We did a really good job of hitting the ball where it was pitched today. Not trying to do too much,” Wilk said.

Georgetown added some insurance with four more runs in the top of the ninth. Led by sophomore center fielder Beau Hall, the Hoyas put together three straight singles. With two outs Bialkowski lined the last of those singles into left field to score both Hall and sophomore third baseman Jake Kuzbel. Freshman left fielder Austin Shirley worked a 10-pitch walk to reload the bases, and then Busch reached on an error that brought junior designated hitter Nick Collins home. Bialkowski then came home when Webber drew another walk.

“The team came with a lot of good energy today,” Busch said. “We’ve been staying back and hitting the ball hard in all directions of the field.”

The Hoyas had 14 hits on the day, led by Busch and Collins with three each. It was the second highest hit total for Georgetown this season. Bialkowski reached base three times, recorded two RBIs and scored twice. Bushor also had two RBIs to go along with his two hits.

Wilk went to the bullpen in the fourth inning, calling on freshman pitcher Jimmy Swad. After Swad pitched two scoreless innings, senior pitcher Will Brown followed with two more. Junior pitcher Tim Davis and sophomore pitcher David Ellingson each added a scoreless inning to close out the game.

“All of them came out and threw strikes,” Busch said.

Now, just one game below .500, the Blue and Gray look to stay consistent and ride their momentum.

“It’s a game of confidence, but without getting your reps and getting your work and getting your rhythm, it’s hard to be confident,” Wilk said. “The Florida trip was huge for that and now we’re starting to get where the field is finally playable.”

Georgetown will play its first home game of the season at Shirley Povich Field this weekend when Brown (1-10) comes for a three-game series. The doubleheader will begin on Saturday at noon followed by a Sunday afternoon game at 1 p.m.