CREW | Lightweight Boats Grab Top-10 Finishes in Boston

Junior Grace Donabedian and the Hoyas raced to a 14th place finish in the women’s fours.
GU WRA

The Georgetown men’s and women’s crew teams headed up to Boston for the annual Head of the Charles Regatta last weekend, competing well against some of the top crew squads in the nation.

Georgetown matched up against 804 other clubs racing down the Charles River over the course of the weekend in the largest regatta in the world.

The men’s and women’s teams entered boats into five divisions for the two-day event — two teams of eights and three teams of fours, with each of these divisions including anywhere from nine to 52 boats.

The men’s lightweight fours had the best performance for the Hoyas, cruising to a 20-second victory over a crowded field of 16 teams. Their unofficial time came in at 17:33.192.

Junior coxswain Ryan Zuccala performed well, considering that the course’s length, sharp turns and upstream route make it one of the most difficult in the country.

The men’s lightweight fours boat was filled with four of the team’s best rowers in senior Artym Hayda, junior Olivier Malle, junior Liam Lafferty and senior Hector Formoso-Murias.

The men’s championship heavyweight eights faced a difficult field, finishing 29th with a time of 16:29.636. USRowing placed first in the race with a time of 14:49.616.

Men’s Head Coach Luke Agnini said the Head of the Charles is one of the most competitive regattas the Hoyas compete in throughout the year.

“Until the national championships, [this is] the only race with the best teams in the world,” Agnini said in an interview with The Hoya.

The women’s team also travelled to the Head of the Charles Regatta last weekend, entering boats into the club fours, lightweight fours and lightweight eights races.

Senior Katarina Stough served as the coxswain for the lightweight eights, navigating the Charles River and leading her boat to a fourth place finish with a time of 18:25.512.

Women’s Head Coach Kendall Mulligan emphasized the importance of racing at a difficult course against a high level of competition.

“In the fall, the Charles is something we build to,” Mulligan said in an interview with The Hoya.

The women’s team made its way up to Boston on Friday before their Saturday afternoon races, enabling them to practice on the course Friday. These practice runs were especially valuable for first-time coxswains, freshman Regan Fisher and sophomore Schylar Jacobs, who gained familiarity with the difficult turns and bridges at the Head of the Charles Regatta before the competition started.

On Oct. 27, the women’s squad will compete in the Head of the Schuylkill Regatta, while the men’s team will head to Princeton, N.J. for the Princeton Chase on Oct. 28.