CREW | Teams Compete at Navy Day Regatta

The Georgetown men’s and women’s crew teams began their fall seasons last weekend at the Navy Day Regatta hosted by St. Joseph’s University in Philadelphia.

The men’s team fielded six boats in the 4+ varsity races throughout the day and competed on a 4000-meter course on the Schuylkill River. On the women’s side, the Hoyas fielded seven boats and performed strongly.

In the first race of the day, two men’s heavyweight teams competed for the Hoyas. The Georgetown A team featured freshmen Owen Powers, Justin English, Tripp Cave, and sophomores Clemente Borgogni and coxswain Maxim Goohs. The A team rowed to an eighth-place finish with a time of 13:55.

The Georgetown B team, comprised of senior Luke Nassif, juniors Daniel Eigler-Harding and Ian Estevao, and sophomore coxswain Persis Moore, finished third in 13:35.

In the 8+ heavyweight races, Georgetown combined the rowers from their 4+ teams to form the A team, and finished sixth with a time of 12:20 —15 seconds behind the eventual winner, the U.S. Naval Academy. The Georgetown B team, which earned a spot in the final after a strong fourth place performance in the Junior Varsity final, finished eleventh.

Despite the Hoyas’ failure to top the podium throughout the day, the men’s heavyweight coach Luke Agnini praised his team’s effort.

“They’re a young group and didn’t quite have enough time to prepare, but I loved the effort,” Agnini said in an interview with GUHoyas. “This is a group that goes hard, and they just need to learn how to be effective.”

On the lightweight side, the Hoyas fielded two boats, one in the 4+ final and one in the 8+ final.

In the 4+ final, Georgetown seniors Artym Hayda and Hector Forumusa-Murias, and juniors Liam Lafferty, Oliver Malle, and coxswain Ryan Zuccala rowed to a second place finish with a time of 13:17, four seconds behind the winners from the University of Pennsylvania.

In the 8+ final, the Hoyas finished fourth with a time of 12:07.

The 4+ openweight women’s squad, consisting of senior Cate O’Leary, junior Grace Donabedian, sophomore Hallie Bereday, freshman Claudia Pagnozzi-Schwam, and sophomore coxswain Schylar Jacobs placed fifth with a time of 15:22, four spots behind the winner, Temple University.

The 4+ lightweight women’s team, composed of senior Hannah Schmidt, junior Isabel Roberts, sophomores Monica Collins and Ellis Anderson, and freshman coxswain Caroline Sterman, placed second with a time of 15:44, narrowly losing in the race to a combined Vesper and Penn team.

The Georgetown women also completed in the 2x race, as senior Megan Walsh and junior Caroline O’Brien placed fifth with a time of 16:25.

The Hoyas had two entrants in the 8+ Junior Varsity races, with Georgetown A finishing fourth with a time of 14:19, 3 spots behind Penn, the eventual winner. The Georgetown B squad finished eighth with a time of 15:12.

In the 8+ final, Georgetown’s A squad rowed to a third place finish at a time of 13:35, while the B squad finished eleventh, racing to a time of 14:22. The two teams finished again behind the Penn team.

The men’s and women’s rowing teams will both be back in action next weekend, Oct. 21, at the Head of the Charles Regatta in Boston.